The son of a public prosecutor passed his matriculation examination in 1926 and studied history, German and art history at the universities of Freiburg / Breisgau , Munich and Gießen , where he became a member of the Darmstadtia Landsmannschaft and passed the state examination in 1930. There he met Hermann Aubin , whom he followed in 1930 to the University of Breslau . In 1932 he was awarded the grade summa cum laude at Aubin for his work on Die Popplau. A 15th and 16th century Breslau merchant family for Dr. phil. doctorate and was then his assistant. In 1937 the habilitation followed with the workBreslau and its overlords from the House of Habsburg . A contribution to the political history of the city of Wroclaw also with Aubin in Wroclaw. Then Petry taught as a lecturer in Silesian history at the University of Breslau.
Petry had been a member of the SA since November 1933 , most recently with the rank of Scharführer , and in 1937 he was admitted to the NSDAP . In 1940 he was called up for military service and was taken prisoner by the French, from which he was released in September 1946.
He was unable to take up a call to the University of Giessen in 1943 because of his military service and French prisoner-of-war camp in the summer of 1940. This was not possible even after 1945, as the university only continued to exist with a natural science and veterinary medicine faculty and an academy for medical research and advanced training. Instead, Petry taught as a history lecturer at the pedagogical training courses for returnees in Fulda . In 1950 he was appointed to the University of Mainz as an associate professor for Medieval and Modern History and Regional Studies. From 1954 until his retirement in 1973 he taught there as a full professor. His academic students included Alois Gerlich , Heinz Duchhardt and Rainer Wohlfeil .
Petry researched in particular the economic and political relations of Silesia in the transition from the Middle Ages to the modern era. But he also related it to his regional studies research in Rhineland-Palatinate. Petry is regarded as the nestor of Silesian historical research in western post-war Germany. He was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit and was a member of the JG Herder Research Council , the Association for the History of Silesia , the Historical Commission for Silesia and, from 1952, the Historical Commission for Nassau . From 1969 to 1991 he was co-editor of the journal for East Central Europe research . The "Ludwig Petry Institute" founded in Mainz in 1990 is named after him.
- The Popplau. A Silesian merchant family of the 15th and 16th centuries (= historical studies. Volume 15). Marcus, Breslau 1935.
- Facing the east. Collected essays on Silesian and East German history. Celebration for the 75th birthday. Thorbecke, Sigmaringen 1983, ISBN 3-7995-6140-4 .
- Breslau and its first overlords from the House of Habsburg 1526–1635. A contribution to the political history of the city. Scripta-Mercaturae, St. Katharinen 2000, ISBN 3-89590-098-2 .
- with Hermann Aubin : History of Silesia. Volume 1: From prehistoric times to 1526. 6th, unchanged edition, Thorbecke, Sigmaringen 2000, ISBN 3-7995-6341-5 .
- with Josef Joachim Menzel : History of Silesia. Volume 2: The Habsburg Period 1526–1740. 3rd, unchanged edition, Thorbecke, Sigmaringen 2000, ISBN 3-7995-6342-3 .
- with Dietrich Meyer , Gustav Adolf Benrath, Ulrich Hutter-Wolandt and Horst Weigelt : Source book on the history of the Protestant Church in Silesia (= writings of the Federal Institute for Culture and History of Germans in Eastern Europe. Vol. 1). Oldenbourg, Munich 1992, ISBN 3-486-55916-8 .
- Konrad Fuchs: Ludwig Petry. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 16, Bautz, Herzberg 1999, ISBN 3-88309-079-4 , Sp. 1218-1228.
- Winfried Irgang: Ludwig Petry (1908–1991). In: Heinz Duchhardt (Ed.): Mainzer Historiker (= contributions to the history of the University of Mainz. Vol. 16). V&R unipress, Mainz University Press, Mainz 2020, ISBN 978-3-8471-1115-3 , pp. 81-106.
- Jörg-Peter Jatho, Gerd Simon: Giessen historian in the Third Reich. Focus Verlag, Giessen 2008, ISBN 978-3-88349-522-4 , p. 60.
- Markus Krzoska: Ludwig Petry. In: Ingo Haar , Michael Fahlbusch (Hrsg.): Handbuch der Völkischen Wissenschaften. People - institutions - research programs - foundations. Saur, Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-598-11778-7 , pp. 475-477.
- Josef Joachim Menzel: Ludwig Petry †. In: Yearbook of the Silesian Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität zu Breslau , Vol. 33 (1992), p. VII.
- Christian-Erdmann Schott: Obituary for Professor Petry. In: Yearbook for Silesian Church History , Vol. 71 (1992), p. 249.
- Literature by and about Ludwig Petry in the catalog of the German National Library
- Publications by Ludwig Petry in the Opac of the Regesta Imperii
- Ludwig Petry In: Gutenberg Biographics. Directory of professors at the University of Mainz 1477–1973.
- Altherrenverband der Landsmannschaft Darmstadtia: History of the Landsmannschaft Darmstadtia 1882–1962. Self-published, Gießen 1969, p. 235.
- Anne Christine Nagel : In the shadow of the Third Reich. Medieval research in the Federal Republic of Germany 1945–1970 . Göttingen 2005, p. 27.
- Fifty Years of the Historical Commission for Silesia . In: Yearbook of the Schlesische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität zu Breslau , vol. 17 (1972), list of members, p. 414.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 3, 1908|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Darmstadt|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 25, 1991|
|Place of death||Mainz|