After graduating from Uhland-Gymnasium Tübingen , Lukas Meyer studied philosophy, political science , history and international law in Tübingen and Yale, among others . In 1987 he earned a master's degree in philosophy from Washington University in St. Louis and in 1990 a diploma in political science from the Free University of Berlin . His dissertation was supervised by Joseph Raz . In 1996 he received his PhD from the University of Oxford .
Research stays took him to Harvard University (2000–2001) and, with a Feodor Lynen Research Fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, to the Columbia University School of Law (2001–2002). In 2003 he completed his habilitation on "Historical Justice" at the University of Bremen .
After a research stay at the Research Institute for Philosophy in Hanover , a position as a permanent lecturer at the University of Keele and an assistant professorship at the University of Bern , Meyer was appointed professor for practical philosophy at the Institute for Philosophy at the University of Graz in 2009. There he initiated the master’s program in Political, Economic and Legal Philosophy, of which he has been the coordinator of the studies ever since. From 2011 to 2013 Meyer was Vice Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and Head of the Center for Cultural Studies. From 2013 to 2017 Meyer was dean of the humanities faculty, from 2009 to 2013 and from 2017 to 2019 head of the Institute of Philosophy. He also acts as a spokesperson (project manager) for the doctoral program “Climate Change - Uncertainties, Threshold Values and Strategies” funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF). Since 2019, Meyer has been co-spokesman for the “Profiling Department Climate Change Graz”.
Meyer has been on the board of the Climate Change Center Austria (CCCA) since 2018 .
Meyer is married to the philosopher Barbara Reiter. The couple have two daughters together.
Lukas H. Meyer deals primarily with practical philosophy, in particular with ethics, political philosophy, legal philosophy and social philosophy. He specializes in intergenerational justice. To this end, he wrote the corresponding article in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy .
Meyer was one of the first philosophers to contribute as lead author to a status report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change . In 2014 Meyer founded the international peer-reviewed journal Moral Philosophy and Politics (de Gruyter) with Michael Schefczyk, Peter Schaber and Mark Peacock .
- Lukas H. Meyer, Stanley L. Paulson, Gerhard Sprenger, Robert Alexy (eds.): Neo-Kantianism and legal philosophy . NOMOS, Baden-Baden 2002, ISBN 3-7890-8197-3 .
- Lukas H. Meyer, Stanley L. Paulson, Thomas Pogge (Eds.): Rights, Culture, and the Law: Themes from the Legal and Political Philosophy of Joseph Raz . Oxford University Press, Oxford / New York 2003, ISBN 978-0-19-924825-4 .
- Lukas H. Meyer: Historical Justice . De Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2005, ISBN 978-3-11-018330-6 .
- Lukas H. Meyer, Axel Gosseries (Ed.): Intergenerational Justice . Oxford University Press, Oxford 2009, ISBN 978-0-19-928295-1 .
- Lukas H. Meyer (Ed.): Justice, Legitimacy, and Public International Law . Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2009, ISBN 978-0-511-69172-0 .
- Lukas H. Meyer: Why Historical Emissions Should Count . In: Chicago Journal of International Law . tape 13 , no. 2 , 2013, ISSN 1529-0816 ( uchicago.edu ).
- Lukas H. Meyer: Intergenerational Justice . In: Edward Zalta (Ed.): Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy . 2015 ( stanford.edu ).
- Lukas H. Meyer, Charles Kolstad, John Broome, et al .: Social, Economic, and Ethical Concepts and Methods . In: Ottmar Edenhofer et al. (Ed.): Climate Change 2014. Mitigation of Climate Change. Working Group III Contribution to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change . Cambridge University Press, New York 2015, pp. 207-282 ( ipcc.ch [PDF]).
- Lukas Meyer's website
- Literature by and about Lukas Meyer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Research portal of the University of Graz
- Harvard University: Lukas Meyer
- fiph.de: Lukas Meyer
- University of Graz: Master's degree in Political, Economic and Legal Philosophy
- University of Graz: Doctoral College on Climate Change
- Profile-building area Climate Change Graz. Retrieved June 12, 2020 .
- Lukas H. Meyer: Intergenerational Justice
- Chapter 3 - ipcc-wg3. January 16, 2016, accessed June 12, 2020 .
- Moral Philosophy and Politics magazine. Retrieved June 12, 2020 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Meyer, Lukas Heinrich|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German philosopher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Tübingen|