Life and work
In his youth, Peter Nellen was a member of the Catholic youth organization Bund Neudeutschland , which the Jesuit father Ludwig Esch had founded. After graduating from high school, he studied Catholic theology , philosophy , history and German in Bonn , Cologne and Berlin . After completing his studies, he was a study assessor from 1943 and taught as a high school teacher, most recently in Aachen . During the Second World War he was a non-commissioned officer in Penal Division 999 . He became an American prisoner of war and directed the prisoner of war camp school in San Antonio , Texas. From 1946 he was government councilor and department head for adult education, youth care and sport in the regional council.
Nellen was married and had five children. He was a member of the Catholic student association KDSt.V. Grotenburg (Detmold) Cologne in the CV .
After 1945, Peter Nellen worked as a councilor for schools, youth and sport at the district government in Münster and joined the CDU there. He was a member of the German Bundestag from its first election in 1949 to 1969. From 1949 to 1961 he represented the constituency of Münster-Stadt and -Land in parliament as a directly elected member . From June 7, 1950 to 1953 he was deputy chairman of the organizing committee of the Bundestag. Because of significant differences with his party - it was about the standpoints on conscientious objection and nuclear armament - he joined the SPD on November 8, 1960. In the next two legislative periods he was elected to parliament on the SPD state list in North Rhine-Westphalia. Within the SPD parliamentary group, he was responsible for relations with the Catholic Church. After the federal election in 1969 , he left parliament and died a short time later.
- The price of freedom. Glock and Lutz, Nuremberg 1958.
- Live with the atomic bomb? In: Union monthly journal . Issue 2, 1960, pp. 65 ff. ( Library.fes.de PDF).
- Walter Henkels : 99 Bonn heads , reviewed and supplemented edition, Fischer-Bücherei, Frankfurt am Main 1965, pp. 195ff.
- Gunnar Anger: Peter Nellen. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 22, Bautz, Nordhausen 2003, ISBN 3-88309-133-2 , Sp. 890-902.
- Markus Köster: Duty and freedom of conscience. Peter Nellen - a lateral thinker in the Bundestag. In: On Red Earth. Homeland papers for Münster and the Münsterland. May 2009 (supplement to Westfälische Nachrichten , May 13, 2009).
- Literature by and about Peter Nellen in the catalog of the German National Library
- From the right as from the left . In: Der Spiegel . No. 47 , 1960 ( online - via Peter Nellen).
- Nellen, Peter . In: Martin Schumacher (Ed.): MdB - The People's Representation 1946–1972. - [Naber to Nydahl] (= KGParl online publications ). Commission for the History of Parliamentarism and Political Parties e. V., Berlin 2006, ISBN 978-3-00-020703-7 , pp. 877 , urn : nbn: de: 101: 1-2014070812574 ( kgparl.de [PDF; 140 kB ; accessed on June 19, 2017]).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (CDU, SPD), Member of the Bundestag|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 10, 1912|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Düren|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 29, 1969|
|Place of death||Düren|