Rickrolling (also Rick Rolling ) is a joke on the Internet in which an unsuspecting Internet user is directed to a video portal on which the music video of the song Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley is presented to him.
Origin and variations
The internet phenomenon of rickrolling has existed since May 2007 at the latest . It is a joke that in an internet discussion a link that seems to fit the topic is published. The link then leads to its own website (alternatively also the video platform YouTube), on which you can then see the video of the song Never gonna give you up partly with the text “You have been Rickrolled” (German: “You have been rolled “) Gets to see. Rickrolling developed from the duckrolling of the community 4chan , where the link leads to the picture of a duck on wheels. Some videos also show the promised briefly at the beginning before Never Gonna Give You Up begins.
Since March 2010, triggered by a YouTube video of the same name by Ray William Johnson , the communist roll'd phenomenon has also been going on. This variation is based on the same principle, except that instead of Never Gonna Give You Up a song by Eduard Chil , a Russian singer, actor and internet phenomenon , is presented.
Outside the internet
From 4 to 12 October was Blinkenlights StereoScope of the Chaos Computer Club in the City Hall of Toronto installed. You could also play monochrome videos on it and at least on the first evening you could see Rick Astley's video. There was a slightly smaller demonstration at the installation in the Schönherz dormitory in Hungary.
Several Internet comics addressed the video. With the Rick Astley video, security expert Dan Kaminsky demonstrated a security flaw in the DNS system of some providers.
Rick Astley rickrolled himself in the traditional Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on November 27, 2008 in New York City. While on a float of Cartoon Network characters of the series Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends , the theme song Best Friend for 1970 television series The Courtship of Eddie's Father sang, came as a surprise Rick Astley from the car body and began to recite his hit. At the end of the performance, the character Cheese shouted : "I like Rickrolling!" The parade and thus this performance was broadcast nationwide by NBC .
MTV Europe Music Awards
In 2008 MTV was successfully "rickrolled". At the MTV Europe Music Awards 2008 the category Best Act Ever was introduced, in which the nominees and then the winner should be chosen by the viewers on the Internet. An Internet community made fun of casting as many votes as possible for Rick Astley. The whole thing meant that Rick Astley was one of the nominees along with Christina Aguilera , Green Day , U2 , Tokio Hotel and Britney Spears and eventually even won. However, the audience present at the event showed incomprehension for such humor. Rick Astley did not personally accept the award.
- On April 1, 2008, as an April Fool's joke , YouTube briefly redirected all links on its home page to the music video in question and "rickrolled" unsuspecting visitors.
- In November 2009, the first was iPhone - worm known. It exploits a vulnerability in iPhones with jailbreak from the dissemination and exchange of the victim, the background image to a photo of Rick Astley with the words " ikee is never going to give you up (You have been Rick Rolled) from".
- Since April 14, 2010, the multimessenger Trillian has released an update of version 4.2, which should make it possible to recognize a Rickroll video if the link is received via instant messaging. As soon as you move over the link, you get more information without having to open the link. The special thing is that Trillian specifically addresses rickrolling in the update information and self-ironically claims that the new preview protects against rickrolling. Quoted from the website: Trillian 4.2 for Windows Public Beta: Upgraded Windows Live protocol, can detect Rickrolls.
- At the start of the second season of Westworld , the creators publish a video on Youtube that supposedly explains the entire story of the second season. After 1:38 the main actress Evan Rachel Wood sings a cover version of the song. The rest of the video is a shot of a dog in front of a piano with the series theme song playing in the background.
- In the 2018 Disney animated film Chaos on the Net (original title: Ralph Breaks the Internet ) viewers are rolled up and watch until the end of the credits. An exclusive preview of Frozen II is announced here, but instead shows Ralph (the title hero) who sings Never Gonna Give You Up .
- On June 17, 2020, Rick Astley posted a photo online on the popular social media platform Reddit , which shows him on a bicycle in the backstage area of a Las Vegas concert in 1989. A user (u / theMalleableDuck) commented under the picture that he was a big fan of Rick and that he met him at a backstage event at the age of 12. A link reference in the word backstage event should suggest that this user has a photo or some other kind of souvenir about this day. When clicking on that link, however, only the YouTube video for the song Never Gonna Give You Up opened . Fascinated by being a victim of his own meme for the very first time , Rick Astley responded with the applause emoji .
- For Doom there is a modification in which you pick up a weapon and then hold a boom box in your hands, which plays the hit when "firing" and thereby kills the enemy.
- To mark the opening of the US Congress' new YouTube channel, Nancy Pelosi , Speaker of the House of Representatives, posted a video on the Capitol Cats on her YouTube channel in January 2009 , with Rick Astley showing up halfway through .
- Rickrolling on Knowyourmeme.com . Retrieved in September 2020.
- Communist Roll'd . Retrieved in September 2020.
- Astley fans' rush hour 'flashmob' , news.bbc.co.uk, April 11, 2008
- Blinkenlights Stereoscope , vimeo.com
- Video of a lecture by the CCC on the steroscope project ( MP4 ; 523 MB), ccc.de
- World's biggest real life Rickroll , youtube.com, uploaded October 6, 2008
- Ryan Singel: ISPs' Error Page Ads Let Hackers Hijack Entire Web, Researcher Discloses , blog.wired.com, April 19, 2008
- Matthew Moore: Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade: Rick Astley performs his own Rickroll , telegraph.co.uk, November 28, 2008
- Jesse North: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Best and worst moments , popwatch.ew.com, Nov. 27, 2008
- YouTube 'Rickrolls' Everyone . In: WIRED . ( wired.com [accessed July 6, 2018]).
- First iPhone worm on the move , heise.de, November 9, 2009
- Update information from Trillian
- Westworld's spoiler reveal turns out to be an elaborate Rickroll . In: The Verge . ( theverge.com [accessed July 6, 2018]).
- https://farmweek.com/watch-disneys-wreck-it-ralph-rickroll-rick-astley/ Retrieved July 5, 2019
- New Internet Legend Manages to Rick Roll Rick Astley. Retrieved June 19, 2020 .
- Rickrolled by Nancy Pelosi . Retrieved in September 2020.