National Broadcasting Company
|National Broadcasting Company
|Seat||New York City|
|Number of employees||7000|
National Broadcasting Company ( NBC ) is an American radio - and television - Network . The broadcasting chain belongs to the media group NBCUniversal and is based in Rockefeller Center in New York City .
NBC was founded in 1926 by General Electric , Westinghouse, and RCA , making it the United States' first nationwide radio network. In 1932, RCA took over NBC completely. In 1937 the NBC Symphony Orchestra was founded.
In the 1930s and 1940s, NBC was involved in the development of television. In 1941 NBC was the first broadcaster to receive a license for commercial television operations. The World Series was first broadcast on NBC television in 1947. In 1950, NBC was the first television station to broadcast a morning show . On January 14, 1952, the first nationwide broadcast took place with today . A year later, in 1953, the first color broadcasts followed. The first television film followed in 1964. The conversion from mono to stereo television took place in 1984. When RCA was taken over by General Electric in 1986, General Electric became the sole owner of the NBC network.
In Europe , NBC launched the NBC Super Channel in the fall of 1994 (through the purchase of the London-based and Italian-owned Super Channel ), on which the business news channel CNBC and, in Germany, the broadcaster NBC Europe could be seen. In April 2002 NBC took over the second largest Spanish-language television network Telemundo as well as the American cable channel Bravo and the broadcaster KNTV .
In 2003 NBC merged with the entertainment division of the European media group Vivendi Universal to form NBC Universal . This merger took effect on May 12, 2004. In response, Universal boss Jeff Zucker announced the "most comprehensive austerity program" in NBC history. With massive savings, especially in the primetime and news segment , viewers are to be won back. But that didn't help much: At the beginning of December 2009 it was announced that the US cable broadcaster Comcast had bought 51% of NBC for 6.5 billion dollars. On February 12, 2013, Comcast announced that it would also take over the remaining 49 percent of NBCUniversal's shares from General Electric. The agreed price for this is around $ 16.7 billion, including $ 11.4 billion in cash. The deal should be completed by the end of the first quarter of 2013.
In early September 2018 it was announced that NBC should have tried " to cover up the allegations of abuse against former Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein " and to obstruct the research of journalist Ronan Farrow in the matter.
NBC operates fourteen of its own channels, with which 30% of American households are (directly) reached:
- WNBC (NBC4 New York )
- KNBC (NBC4 Los Angeles )
- WMAQ (NBC5 Chicago )
- WCAU (NBC10 Philadelphia )
- KNTV (NBC3 San Jose / San Francisco )
- KXAS (NBC5 Dallas / Fort Worth )
- WRC (NBC4 Washington )
- WTVJ (NBC6 Miami )
- KNSD (NBC7 / 39 San Diego )
- WVIT (NBC30 Hartford )
- WNCN (NBC17 Raleigh )
- WCMH (NBC4 Columbus )
- WVTM (NBC13 Birmingham )
- WJAR (NBC10 Providence )
In addition, there are almost 200 affiliates (“partner stations”) who are supplied by NBC with around 5000 hours of programming each year. NBC founded the news portal MSNBC together with Microsoft . NBC thus reaches 99% of American households. The NBC logo is a stylized peacock, the design comes from Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv .
The station's sitcoms from the past thirty years ( Alf , The Bill Cosby Show , The Prince of Bel-Air , Cheers , Seinfeld , Frasier , Friends , Golden Girls ) are so popular that the broadcast dates for the programs, usually Thursday evenings between 8pm and 10pm, known as Must See TV . Since Friends , however, the station has not been able to design a similarly successful series. This is attributed, among other things, to the fact that the pay-TV channels HBO and Showtime have long since become more demanding series ( Californication , Dexter , The Sopranos , Lass ) due to their greater independence from censorship regulations (which still prohibit the use of even everyday swear words on free-to-air channels) and the advertising industry es, Larry ! , Sex and the City , Six Feet Under ).
- World Series (1947 to 1949 together with CBS, ABC and DuMont ; from 1950 to 1976 alone, from 1977 to 1989 alternating annually with ABC, 1995 together with ABC, 1997 and 1999 alone)
- Summer Olympic Games (1964, 1980 and since 1988)
- Wimbledon (since 1969)
- Olympic Winter Games (1972 and since 2002)
- French Open (since 1981)
- US Open golf tournament
- Players Championship
- NBC Sunday Night Football
- The free television premiere of WWE Wrestlemania
- See how they run , first TV movie, 1964
- Who Do You Think You Are? (since 2010)
- Bob Hope started his career with NBC in 1933
- Jack Paar , host of The Tonight Show , 1957
- Johnny Carson started hosting The Tonight Show in 1962 and hosted it for thirty years
- David Letterman , host of the Late Night Show, 1982
- Tom Brokaw , presenter of NBC Nightly News , 1983
- Jay Leno , host of The Tonight Show, 1992
- Conan O'Brien , host of the Late Night Show, 1993
- Carson Daly , host of Last Call , 2002
- Jimmy Fallon , host of The Tonight Show, 2014
- Brian Williams (TV journalist) , NBCnews Anchor, etc. a. NBC NightlyNews & RockCenter with Brian Williams
- Seth Meyers , presenter of Late Night (NBC) , previously on Saturday Night Live from 2001 to 2014 in 2014
- www.nbc.com (English)
- NBC Universal Media Village
- Group profile of NBC Universal Inc. on mediadb.eu
- This is NBC . NBC , archived from the original on February 21, 2010 ; accessed on December 22, 2018 (English, original website no longer available).
- Our History . NBCUniversal , accessed December 22, 2018 .
- Thomas Lückerath: NBC in search of the end of the descent. In: DWDL.de . Medienmagazin DWDL.de GmbH , October 24, 2006, accessed on December 22, 2018 .
- Uwe Mantel: US cable company Comcast swallows NBC Universal. In: DWDL.de . Medienmagazin DWDL.de GmbH , December 3, 2009, accessed on December 22, 2018 .
- Comcast to Acquire General Electric's 49% Common Equity Ownership Interest in NBCUniversal
- Media: NBC wanted to cover up allegations against Weinstein , deutschlandfunkkultur.de, September 1, 2018, accessed on September 2, 2018
- This is NBC (page 2). NBC , archived from the original on February 21, 2010 ; accessed on December 22, 2018 (English, original website no longer available).