Rudolf Braun (historian)
The son of a geologist visited the Mathematics and Natural Sciences High School Basel and completed from 1950 to 1958 studies in folklore and history at the universities of Freiburg , Basel and Zurich , which he 1960 with the graduation to the Dr. phil. completed. After an assistant position at the Dortmund Social Research Center (1959–61) and a position as a research assistant in Chicago (1961–64), he received his habilitation in 1964 at the University of Bern . He then wrote a thesis on the integration problems of Italian guest workers in Switzerland. From 1966 he was a lecturer and from 1968 to 1971 full professor for social and economic history at the Free University of Berlin . From 1971 to 1995 he was a full professor of general and Swiss history in recent and recent times at the University of Zurich.
Along with Markus Mattmüller (Basel) and Erich Gruner (Bern), he was one of the pioneers of social history in German-speaking Switzerland . In his long-term research, he combined economic with political, social and cultural aspects.
Together with his assistant Jakob Tanner , he organized the first seminar on women's history at the University of Zurich.
As an author:
- The changes in the way of life in a rural industrial area before 1800 (Zürcher Oberland) (= industrialization and popular life. Volume 1). Rentsch, Erlenbach / Stuttgart 1960, ; 2nd edition: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1979.
- Social and cultural change in a rural industrial area (Zürcher Oberland) under the influence of machinery and factories in the 19th and 20th centuries (= industrialization and popular life. Volume 2). Keller, Winterthur / Rentsch, Erlenbach / Stuttgart 1965, ISBN 3-525-36174-2 ; 2nd edition: Chronos, Zurich 1999, ISBN 3-905313-29-4 . (dissertation, University of Zurich, Philosophical Faculty I, ); 2nd edition: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1979,
- The outgoing Ancien Régime in Switzerland. Outline of a social and economic history of the 18th century. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen / Zurich 1984, ISBN 3-525-36182-3 .
- with David Gugerli : Power of Dance - Dance of the Mighty. Court festivals and rulership ceremonies 1550–1914. Beck, Munich 1993, ISBN 3-406-37550-2 .
- From homeworkers to the European power elite. Selected essays. Chronos, Zurich 2000, ISBN 3-905313-47-2 .
- with Wolfram Fischer , Helmut Großkreutz, Heinrich Volkmann : Industrial Revolution, Economic Aspects (= New Scientific Library. Volume 50). Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Cologne / Berlin 1972, ISBN 3-462-00871-4 .
- with Wolfram Fischer, Helmut Großkreutz, Heinrich Volkmann: Society in the industrial revolution (= New Scientific Library. Volume 56). Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Cologne 1973, ISBN 3-462-00925-7 .
- Sebastian Brändli, David Gugerli , Rudolf Jaun , Ulrich Pfister (eds.): Switzerland in Transition. Studies on recent social history. Festschrift for Rudolf Braun on his 60th birthday. Helbing and Lichtenhahn, Basel / Frankfurt am Main 1990, ISBN 3-7190-1058-9 .
- Literature by and about Rudolf Braun in the catalog of the German National Library
- Markus Bürgi: Braun, Rudolf. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- sda : Historian Rudolf Braun has died ( memento from May 23, 2012 on WebCite ). In: Aargauer Zeitung . May 23, 2012.
- Sebastian Brändli: Obituary. Zurich historian Rudolf Braun dies. In: Tages-Anzeiger . May 23, 2012.
- Jakob Tanner : On the death of the social and economic historian Rudolf Braun. In: Neue Zürcher Zeitung . May 23, 2012.
- Elisabeth Joris : Rudolf Braun (1930–2012). Sympathetic to the specific people. In: weekly newspaper . No. 22/2012, May 31, 2012.
- Jakob Tanner : Paths in the space of possibility of history. On the death of the social and economic historian Rudolf Braun. In: Neue Zürcher Zeitung . May 23, 2012.
- Bernard Degen : Mattmüller, Markus. In: Historisches Lexikon der Schweiz ., Accessed on May 28, 2012.
- Elisabeth Joris in conversation with Stefan Keller, WOZ of November 3, 2016, http://static.woz.ch/1644/durch-den-monat-mit-elisabeth-joris-teil-1/wie-wird-man- women historian
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 18, 1930|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Basel|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 19, 2012|
|Place of death||Basel|