Walter Ameling (ancient historian)
Walter Ameling (born March 31, 1958 in Aachen ) is a German ancient historian .
Walter Ameling passed his Abitur at the humanistic Kaiser-Karls-Gymnasium in Aachen in 1976 . From 1976 to 1980 he studied classical philology, ancient history and archeology at the universities of Aachen , Bonn and Cologne . His doctorate with a study on Herodes Atticus took place in 1982 under Reinhold Merkelbach . From 1984 to 1985 he was a research assistant with Klaus Bringmann at the seminar for Greek and Roman history at the University of Frankfurt am Main . From 1986 to 1995 Ameling was assistant and senior assistant to Dieter Timpe at the chair for ancient history at the University of Würzburg . Ameling received his habilitation in November 1991 at Timpe in Würzburg with his thesis Carthage: Studies on the Military, State and Society . From January to March 1996 he had a Heisenberg scholarship . In March 1996 he accepted a chair at the Friedrich Schiller University in Jena . From 2003 to 2005 he was Dean of the Philosophical Faculty there. Ameling has been a corresponding member of the German Archaeological Institute and a full member of the Academy of Charitable Sciences in Erfurt since 2007 . Since 2009 he has been Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach - Professor of Ancient History at the University of Cologne . His research interests include all areas of Greek history and Greek epigraphy .
Ameling has been married since April 1983. He has four daughters.
- Herodes Atticus (= Subsidia epigraphica. 11, 1–2). 2 volumes (Vol. 1: Biography. Vol. 2: Inscription catalog. ). Olms, Hildesheim et al. 1983, ISBN 3-487-07376-5 (Vol. 1), ISBN 3-487-07377-3 (Vol. 2), (also: Cologne, University Dissertation, 1982).
- Carthage. Studies on the military, the state and society (= Vestigia . Vol. 45). Beck, Munich 1993, ISBN 3-406-37490-5 .
- The inscriptions of Prusias ad Hypium (= The inscriptions of Greek cities from Asia Minor. 27). Habelt, Bonn 1985, ISBN 3-7749-2114-8 .
- with Klaus Zimmermann : Detlef Lotze : Citizens and unfree in pre-Hellenistic Greece. Selected articles (= Classical Studies Colloquium. 2). Steiner, Stuttgart 2000, ISBN 3-515-07673-5 .
- Martyrs and acts of martyrs (= Colloquium of Ancient Studies. 6). Steiner, Stuttgart 2002, ISBN 3-515-08234-4 .
- Inscriptiones Judaicae Orientis. Volume 2: Asia Minor (= texts and studies on ancient Judaism. 99). Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2004, ISBN 3-16-148196-8 .
- with others: Corpus Inscriptionum Iudaeae / Palaestinae . A Multi-lingual Corpus of the Inscriptions from Alexander to Muhammad. (Co-editor since volume 2)
- Volume 2: Caesarea and the Middle Coast. 1121-2160. de Gruyter, Berlin et al. 2011, ISBN 978-3-11-022217-3 .
- Volume 3: South Coast. 2161-2648. de Gruyter, Berlin et al. 2014, ISBN 978-3-11-033746-4 .
- Volume 4.1: Judaea. Part 1, De Gruyter, Berlin et al. 2018, ISBN 978-3-11-053744-4 .
- Volume 4.2: Judaea. Part 2, De Gruyter, Berlin et al. 2018, ISBN 978-3-11-054364-3 .
- Literature by and about Walter Ameling in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Ameling at the University of Cologne
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 31, 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Aachen|