The tenth son of a master baker first studied Catholic theology in Würzburg from 1924 , and after the first theological exam in 1928 in Tübingen, classical philology and history. In 1932 he received his doctorate in Würzburg, worked for a short time as a teacher and began training for the higher library service in Tübingen and Berlin in 1934. After graduating, he went to the University Library of Tübingen as a librarian , but continued to work scientifically and completed his habilitation in 1940 at the University of Tübingen with a thesis on the Homeric ship catalog .
From 1944, Burr represented the chair for ancient history at the University of Jena , whose owner Hermann Bengtson was in the Wehrmacht. In June 1946 the chair was officially transferred to him. From 1945 he was also director of the Jena University Library . In February 1947, presumably for political reasons, he left Jena and returned to the Tübingen University Library, where he was deputy director Georg Leyh , and an adjunct professor at the university.
In 1951 Burr became director of Bonn University Library , and from 1952 honorary professor for ancient history and library studies at the university. He was responsible for the library that opened in 1960. In 1968 Burr went back to science and succeeded Erich Swobodas as professor of ancient history at the University of Graz . In 1969 he was awarded the Cross of Merit 1st Class of the Federal Republic of Germany. He died in 1975, just a year after his retirement.
- Nostrum Mare. Origin and history of the names of the Mediterranean and its submarines in antiquity . Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 1932.
- Neon catalogs. Investigations on the Homeric ship catalog . Dieterich, Leipzig 1944. New print Scientia, Aalen 1961.
- Tiberius Iulius Alexander . Habelt, Bonn 1955.
- University Library Bonn: Completed construction tasks. A report . University library, Bonn 1962.
- Hans Herter : Viktor Burr † . In: Gnomon 48 (1976), pp. 317-320.
- Hartwig Lohse: Obituary Viktor Burr (1906–1975) . In: Zeitschrift für Bibliothekswesen und Bibliographie 23 (1976), Issue 2, pp. 132-135.
- Otto Wenig (ed.): Paths to book studies. Viktor Burr on reaching the age of 60 . Bouvier, Bonn 1966. (With booklet: Gift of friend for Viktor Burr .)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian and librarian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 8, 1906|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ellwangen|
|DATE OF DEATH||15th June 1975|
|Place of death||Ellwangen|