Center for International Light Art
|Number of visitors (annually)||25,000 (2017)|
The Center for International Light Art in Unna has been located in the buildings of the former Lindenbrauerei since 2002 . It is the only museum in the world that is exclusively dedicated to light art .
Among others, Christian Boltanski , Johannes Dinnebier , Ólafur Elíasson , Rebecca Horn , Joseph Kosuth , Mischa Kuball , Christina Kubisch , Mario Merz , François Morellet , Andreas Oldborough , Keith Sonnier and James Turrell realized room installations in the underground passages, cooling rooms and fermentation basins.
The landmark is the light installation of Fibonacci numbers on the fireplace of Mario Merz's brewery.
In addition to the presentation of permanent and temporary exhibitions, the center also works as a forum for discussions, it organizes symposia, conferences and workshops on the subject of light. In addition, in cooperation with the Innogy Foundation for Energy and Society , the center annually awards the International Light Award to outstanding light artists . The center is also involved in the Hellweg project - a light path .
A camera obscura by the American light artist James Turrell has been part of the permanent exhibition since February 1, 2009 . The artwork Third Breath, 2005 consists of two rooms. In the lower cube-shaped room (Camera Obscura Space), the visitor can observe the image of the sky on a polished marble slab, which is reflected on the floor through a lens. In the upper cylindrical space (Sky Space), the sky can be observed directly through the ceiling opening. The opening of the work of art was accompanied by a four-month exhibition on the artist "James Turrell - Geometry of Light".
- 2017/2018: ¡Bright! with Björn Dahlem , Molitor & Kuzmin , Pedro Cabrita Reis , Volkhard Kempter
- 2016/2017: MORELLET
- 2016: Switch with Marion Cziba, Raika Dittmann, Martin Fell, Nicole Fleisch, Karen Fritz, Daniel Hausig , Ida Kammerloch, Octavian Mariutiu, Maria Elena Schmidt, Michael Voigt, Ingo Wendt.
- 2016: ILAA 2015 - THE FUTURE OF LIGHT ART, with the International Light Art Award winners Andreas Muxel & Martin Hesselmeier, Iván Navarro and Dirk Vollenbroich
- 2015/2016: Dark with Anthony McCall , Diana Ramaekers , Regine Schumann , Vera Röhm , Lucinda Devlin .
- 2013: Words Don't Come Easily with Boris Petrovsky , Tsang Kin-Wah, Raqs Media Collective , Jason Rhoades .
- Center for International Light Art Unna. Wienand, Cologne 2004, ISBN 3-87909-854-9 .
- Klaudia Sluka: Heaven over Unna. James Turell makes the world stand upside down. In: Westfalenspiegel , vol. 58 (2009), issue 2, p. 29.
- Website of the Center for International Light Art
- Interactive tour (Flash animation)
- WDR Mediabox for the new work of art by James Turell ( Memento from February 2, 2009 in the Internet Archive )
- Center for International Light Art breaks 25,000 visitor limit. Stadt Spiegel, accessed December 24, 2019 .
- The award. Center for International Light Art (ilaa.eu), accessed on May 6, 2017 .
- Exhibition the Center for International Light Art Unna, URL http://www.lichtkunst-unna.de/de/wechselausstellung , September 12, 2017.
- Exhibition the Center for International Light Art Unna, URL http://www.lichtkunst-unna.de/ausstellungen/switch.html , July 6, 2016.
- Exhibition the Center for International Light Art Unna, URL http://www.lichtkunst-unna.de/ausstellungen/dark.html , July 6, 2016.
- Exhibition the Center for International Light Art Unna, URL http://www.lichtkunst-unna.de/ausstellungen/archiv/2013-words-dont-come-easily.html , July 6, 2016.