Calendar overview 397
|Martin of Tours dies.|
|397 in other calendars|
|Buddhist calendar||940/941 (southern Buddhism); 939/940 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||51st (52nd) cycle , year of the fire rooster丁酉 ( at the beginning of the year fire monkey 丙申)|
|Jewish calendar||4157/58 (9/10 September)|
|Roman calendar||ab urbe condita MCL (1150); Diocletian Era : 113/114 (New Year November)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 707/708 (April turn of the year); Syria: 708/709 (New Year October)|
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||453/454 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- According to a legend, the bishop of Cologne hears St. Severin at the hour of death of St. Bishop Martin of Tours while walking the heavenly chanting of the angels. Brictius becomes the new bishop of Tours .
- Augustine of Hippo publishes the first three books of his hermeneutical work De doctrina christiana ( On Christian teaching ), which, however, was not translated and accepted until the 12th century. This is the first time that a book against the practice of " witchcraft " is being written.
- The Third Synod of Carthage passes resolutions on the Holy Canon and the Donatist dispute .
- April 4 : Ambrose of Milan , one of the four Western Doctors of the Church (* 339 )
- November 8 : Martin of Tours , bishop of Tours, Saint (* 316 / 317 )