Calendar overview 726
|Abbo of Provence founds the Novalesa monastery .|
|726 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||174/175 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1269/70 (southern Buddhism); 1268/69 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||57th (58th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||88/89 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||104/105 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||107/108 (May 7/8)|
|Jewish calendar||4486/87 (September 1st and 2nd)|
from urbe condita MCDLXXIX (1479)
Diocletian's era : 442/443 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1036/37 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1037/38 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||782/783 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Beginning of the Byzantine Iconoclasm : Emperor Leo III. has the large, golden icon of Christ on the Chalke gate of his imperial palace destroyed in a demonstrative act , which leads to an initial uproar among the population.
- King Ine of Wessex resigns and goes on a pilgrimage to Rome . Æthelheard becomes the new king .
- Eochaid III. becomes King of the Irish-Scottish Empire Dalriada .
- Antwerp is mentioned for the first time.
Sport and culture
- Anbasa ibn Suhaym al-Kalbi , Muslim governor of Al-Andalus
- Tobias , Bishop of Rochester
- around 726: Marcello Tegalliano , Doge of Venice
- around 726: Oda von Brabant , Catholic saint