Calendar overview 722
|Ine of Wessex is defeated by forces from Cornwall.|
|722 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||170/171 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1265/66 (southern Buddhism); 1264/65 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||56th (57th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||84/85 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||100/101 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||103/104 (June 20/21)|
|Jewish calendar||4482/83 (September 16-17)|
ab urbe condita MCDLXXV (1475)
Diocletian's era : 438/439 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1032/33 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1033/34 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||778/779 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Pelayo , ruler of Asturias , triumphs over an Arab army in the battle of Covadonga ; this is the first Christian victory in the context of the reconquest of the Iberian Peninsula ( Reconquista ).
- The Byzantine Emperor Leo III. orders compulsory baptism for Jews and Montanists in his kingdom.
- The Franconian caretaker Karl Martell subjugates the Bavarians and Alemanni by force of arms.
- King Ine forcibly suppresses Sussex's attempt to break away from Wessex supremacy .
- New fighting broke out between the Khazars and Muslims in the Caucasus . The disputes dragged on until 737 .
First documentary mentions
- January 20 : In a deed of donation to the monastery of Fulda is Großenehrich first mentioned.
- First mention of Kenzingen and Niederkassel
- November 30th : Pope Gregory II consecrates Boniface as mission bishop without a permanent seat.
- December 1 : Gregory II tells the missionary Boniface how he should use the income of the church - the tithe created in the 8th century - and offerings.