Calendar overview 754
Council of Hiereia near Constantinople condemns the icons
and condemns John of Damascus as a heretic .
|754 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||202/203 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1297/98 (southern Buddhism); 1296/97 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||57th (58th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||116/117 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||132/133 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||136/137 (June 26-27)|
|Jewish calendar||4514/15 (22/23 September)|
from urbe condita MDVII (1507)
Diocletian's era : 470/471 (turn of the year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1064/65 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1065/66 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||810/811 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- January 6th : Pope Stephan II , the first Pope to ever cross the Alps, meets with Pippin the Younger in the Franconian Palatinate Ponthion and asks again for assistance against the Lombards .
- April 14th : Frankish imperial assembly in the royal palace Quierzy : the nobility of the Franconian empire declares themselves ready to campaign against the Lombards. Pippin promises the Pope the "return" of the area to be conquered ( Pippin donation ), which actually belongs to Byzantium .
- July 28th : Pippin the Younger is anointed in the Basilica of Saint-Denis for the second time after 751 , along with his sons Karlmann and Karl . The Pope declares that the Franconian crown may only be awarded within the Carolingian dynasty.
- Corsica comes under the sovereignty of the Franconian Empire.
- Abū Jaʿfar ʿAbd Allaah ibn Muhammad ibn ʿAlī al-Mansūr bi-llāh becomes the Abbasid Caliph as the successor to his late brother Abu l-Abbas as-Saffah .
First documentary mentions
- First documentary mention of the places Hochheim am Main , Pfeddersheim , Urmitz and Bodenheim am Rhein
- February 10 : The Council of Hieria at Konstantin Opel chaired by Emperor Constantine V together. It condemns the icons and condemns John of Damascus as a heretic . 787 it is declared invalid.
- Burkard resigns as Bishop of Würzburg and becomes a hermit on the Main; Megingaud becomes the new bishop .
- Gregory becomes Bishop of Utrecht .
- Constantine II becomes Patriarch of Constantinople as successor to Anastasius.
- June 5, 754 or 755 : Boniface is slain by the Frisians at Dokkum while they are proselytizing.
- around 754: The Anglo-Saxon missionary Sola founds a monastery, which is later named Solnhofen after him .
Date of death secured
Exact date of death unknown
Died around 754
- Childeric III. , last Merovingian king in the Franconian Empire (* around 720 )
- June 5, 754 or 755 : Bonifatius , "Apostle of the Germans", missionary and church reformer in the Franconian Empire (* around 673 )
- June 5, 754 or 755 : Eoban , Bishop of Utrecht
- 754 or 755 : Burkard , Bishop of Würzburg (* 700 )