Calendar overview 750
|Umayyads are decisively defeated and overthrown by the Abbasids in the Battle of the Great Zab .|
|750 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||198/199 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1293/94 (southern Buddhism); 1292/93 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||57th (58th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||112/113 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||128/129 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||132/133 (August 8/9)|
|Jewish calendar||4510/11 (September 6-7)|
from urbe condita MDIII (1503)
Diocletian's era : 466/467 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1060/61 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1061/62 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||806/807 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- 16th bis 25. January : Muslim Conquest : The Umayyad be from the Abbasids in the Battle of the Great Zab decisively defeated in northern Iraq and toppled. The Abbasids assert themselves as caliphs and kill the members of the Umayyad family. Only Abd ar-Rahman I , grandson of the caliph Hisham , escaped the massacre and flees to the Berbers in the Maghreb .
- King Alfonso I can drive the Moors out of Galicia .
- First documentary mention of Grünsfeld , Möckmühl and Marlishausen
Religion and culture
- With the rise of the Abbasids , the so-called Golden Age of Islam begins .
- around 750: A Benedictine abbey is founded west of London . Because of its location to the city, it is named West Minster .
- around 750: Thekla becomes abbess in Kitzingen and Ochsenfurt as the successor to Hadeloga.
- around 750: Manufacture of the Stockholm Codex Aureus, a magnificent gospel book, in Canterbury
- around 750: Founding of the Tholey monastery in Saarland, the Moosburg monastery in Baiern and the Disentis monastery in Graubünden
Historical maps and views
- around 750: Angilbert , Frankish poet and court chaplain of Charlemagne († 814 )
- around 750: Eigil , Abbot of Fulda († 822 )
- around 750: Simpert , Bishop of Augsburg, saint († 807 )
- around 750: Theodulf von Orléans , Visigoth scholar († 821 )
- January 25 : Ibrāhīm ibn al-Walīd , Caliph of the Umayyads
- August 6 : Marwan II , last Umayyad caliph (* 688 )
- around 750: Agilolf , Bishop of Cologne