|Michaeliskirche in Fulda is completed.|
|822 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||270/271 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1365/66 (southern Buddhism); 1364/65 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||58th (59th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||184/185 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||200/201 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||206/207 (May 26-27)|
|Jewish calendar||4582/83 (September 19-20)|
ab urbe condita MDLXXV (1575)
Diocletian's era : 538/539 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1132/33 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1133/34 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||878/879 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- With the help of the Bulgarian Khan Omurtag , the Byzantine Emperor Michael II succeeds in lifting the siege of Constantinople by the opposing Emperor Thomas the Slavs and pushing back the attackers.
Western and Central Europe
- Abd ar-Rahman II succeeds his father al-Hakam I , who died on May 21, as the Emir of Córdoba .
- Ceolwulf I of Mercia brings the Welsh Kingdom of Powys under his control.
- Last documented appearance of an Avar embassy in Frankfurt
- around 822: The first fortifications commissioned by Ludwig the Pious are completed in Frankfurt to protect the royal palace in Frankfurt .
First documentary mentions
- First documentary mention of Dissen in the Teutoburg Forest , Ergersheim , Meckesheim , Osterburken and Völklingen and probably Bussnang
- The Michaeliskirche in Fulda is completed and consecrated on January 15th by the Archbishop of Mainz Haistulph .
- June 15th : Rabanus Maurus becomes abbot of the Fulda monastery as successor to the late Eigil .
- The move of the Benedictine convent Hethis in Saxony to Corvey takes place in September.
- Adalung becomes Bishop of Eichstätt . He succeeds Agan , who died on November 6, in this position.
The bones of Saint Cecilia of Rome , patroness of church music , are being rediscovered in the catacombs of San Callisto on the Via Appia outside Rome . Pope Paschal I then had the church of Santa Cecilia in Trastevere rebuilt and the bones of the saints buried in it.
Disasters, nature and the environment
- The winter of 821/22 is extremely severe in Europe. The Rhine, Danube, Elbe and Seine are covered in ice for months. Many people and animals freeze to death. Empress Judith , the second wife of Ludwig the Pious, helps people, for which the abbot of Fulda, Rabanus Maurus and the poet monk Walahfrid Strabo thank her with wonderful verses that will go down in literary history.
- May 21 : Al-Hakam I , Emir of Córdoba (* 770 )
- June 15 or August 6 : Eigil , abbot of the Fulda monastery (* around 750 )
- June 26 : Saichō , Japanese Buddhist monk (* 767 )
- November 6th : Agan , Prince-Bishop of Eichstätt
- Denebeorht , Bishop of Worcester