Calendar overview 861
Byzantine Emperor Michael III.
attacks the Bulgarian Empire .
|861 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||309/310 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1404/05 (southern Buddhism); 1403/04 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||223/224 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||239/240 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||246/247 (March 16-17)|
|Jewish calendar||4621/22 (September 8/9)|
from urbe condita MDCXIV (1614)
Diocletian's era : 577/578 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1171/72 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1172/73 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||917/918 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- December 8 : Al-Mutawakkil , Caliph of the Abbasids , is overthrown and murdered in a conspiracy between his son al-Muntasir and Turkish officers. The new caliph, however, is itself just a plaything for various interest groups. Power struggles of several years begin at the Kaliph's court in Samarra .
City foundations and first documentary mentions
- According to legend, Braunschweig was founded by the two brothers Brun (o) and Dankward from the Liudolfinger family.
- First documentary mention of Bäriswil , Blonay , Bad Ditzenbach , Dielsdorf , Eislingen , Fridingen an der Donau , Gruibingen , Langenthal , Merklingen , Niederhausen , Rötenbach and Wanlo
science and technology
- May 19 : A meteorite strikes a temple in Nogata on the Japanese island of Kyushu . The fall of the chondrite is observed and the piece is kept in a shrine for posterity. It is the first dated meteorite impact .
- Founding of the Wiesensteig Monastery
- 859 or 861: Abū Bakr al-Shiblī , Arab Sufi, emir, legal scholar and chamberlain, companion of the Sufis Mansur al-Halladsch and Junaid Baghdadi († 946 )
Date of death secured
- January 21 : Meinrad von Einsiedeln , East Franconian monk (* around 797 )
- April 13th : Answin von Camerino , bishop in central Italy
- December 8 : Jafar al-Mutawakkil , Abbasid caliph (* 822 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Prudentius of Troyes , Bishop of Troyes