Calendar overview 858
|Ignatios I , Patriarch of Constantinople , is overthrown.||
becomes Tennō of Japan .
|858 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||306/307 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1401/02 (southern Buddhism); 1400/01 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||220/221 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||236/237 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||243/244 (April 18-19)|
|Jewish calendar||4618/19 (September 11-12)|
from urbe condita MDCXI (1611)
Diocletian's era : 574/575 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1168/69 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1169/70 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||914/915 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- The East Franconian ruler Ludwig the German undertakes a campaign due to the turmoil in West Franconia , but withdraws again without a decisive dispute. Charles the Bald remains ruler in the western empire.
- First documented mention of Benken , Cham , Marthalen , Meierskappel and Schlatt
- The Warsaw prince Ryurik conquered the area around Kiev , which was under Magyar and Khazar rule at the time .
- Viking Age : The Danes invade Saxony ( Lower Saxony ), but are repulsed.
- The city of Chartres is conquered, plundered and partially burned down by Danish Vikings .
- August 27th : After the death of his father Montoku, Seiwa becomes the 56th Tennō of Japan .
- The rule of the Fujiwara family begins in Japan . It controls the Japanese imperial family and thus becomes the real power center of the country.
- April 24th : The pontificate of the new Pope begins with the enthronement of Nicholas I , at which Emperor Ludwig II is present .
- November 23rd : Ignatios I Patriarch of Constantinople , is overthrown. The reason is an uncovered coup attempt against the Byzantine Emperor Michael III. he is supposed to be involved in. His successor is Photios .
- November 25th : The Synod of Quierzy confirms in a letter to the East Franconian ruler Ludwig the Germans the loyal attitude of the bishops to the West Franconian King Charles the Bald .
- August 27 : Montoku , Emperor of Japan (* 827 )
- Li Shangyin , Chinese poet of the Tang Dynasty (* around 813 )