Calendar overview 859
|Novgorod is first mentioned in a document.|
|859 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||307/308 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1402/03 (southern Buddhism); 1401/02 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||221/222 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||237/238 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||244/245 (April 7/8)|
|Jewish calendar||4619/20 (September 1st / 2nd)|
ab urbe condita MDCXII (1612)
Diocletian's era : 575/576 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1169/70 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1170/71 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||915/916 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Viking Age : Danish Vikings raid and pillage the Mediterranean Sea . The Iberian Peninsula and the Balearic Islands are particularly affected ( see also : Viking raids into the Mediterranean ).
- Islam in Italy : The Saracens conquer the Sicilian city of Enna .
- Ordoño I of Asturias defeats Musa ibn Musa at Albelda .
- Donald I succeeds his late brother Kenneth I as King of Scotland from the House of Alpin .
- According to the Nestor Chronicle , the Varangians collect interest from the Slavs , Finns and Estonians .
City foundations and first documentary mentions
- The city of Novgorod is mentioned for the first time.
- First documentary mention of Uthweiler
- Founding of Königswinter
Science and religion
- March 11 : Eulogius of Córdoba , Archbishop of Toledo , is executed in Córdoba for accepting a Moorish girl who has converted to Christianity . He is thus considered one of the martyrs of Cordoba .
- After Liupram's death on October 14th, Adalwin becomes Archbishop of Salzburg .
- Fatima al-Fihri , daughter of the wealthy merchant Mohammed Al-Fihri, founded the later university al-Qarawīyīn in Fez in what is now Morocco as a Koran school .
- March 11 : Eulogius of Córdoba , Archbishop of Toledo and one of the martyrs of Córdoba (* before 819)
- October 14th : Liupram , Archbishop of Salzburg
- Dhu n-Nun , Egyptian Sufi (* 796 )
- Kenneth Mac Alpin , Scottish King (* around 810 )
- Odalric , Count of Barcelona