Calendar overview 849
|Leo IV defeats the Saracens in the sea battle of Ostia .|
|849 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||297/298 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1392/93 (southern Buddhism); 1391/92 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||211/212 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||227/228 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||234/235 (July 25-26)|
|Jewish calendar||4609/10 (September 20/21)|
from urbe condita MDCII (1602)
Diocletian's era : 565/566 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1159/60 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1160/61 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||905/906 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Islam in Italy : Naval Battle of Ostia : Leo IV defeats the Saracens near Ostia with the support of a fleet from the lower Italian cities of Naples , Amalfi and Gaeta . The attempt to conquer Italy by the Aghlabids has thus failed.
- Viking Age : The Vikings plunder and pillage Périgueux .
- First documentary mention of Holzhausen
- October 24 : Several thousand to tens of thousands of deaths are reported following the earthquake in northwest Baotou , China.
- April 22nd : Altfried , Bishop of Munster
- August 18 : Walahfrid Strabo , Franconian Benedictine, poet, botanist, diplomat and abbot of the Reichenau monastery (* around 809 )