Calendar overview 847
|Leo IV becomes Pope and has the Vatican City fortified against attacks by the Arabs .||
Rabanus Maurus publishes a new edition of
De rerum naturis .
|847 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||295/296 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1390/91 (southern Buddhism); 1389/90 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||209/210 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||225/226 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||232/233 (August 16/17)|
|Jewish calendar||4607/08 (September 14-15)|
from urbe condita MDC (1600)
Diocletian's era : 563/564 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1157/58 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1158/59 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||903/904 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- April 10th : Leo IV becomes Pope.
- Pope Leo IV fortifies the Leostadt (the Vatican quarter ).
- Fire in the Roman district of Borgo
- Viking Age : The Vikings plunder the Lower Rhine .
- In Brittany , the local ruler Nominoë fights the Vikings and is largely able to drive them out.
- August 10 : al-Wāthiq , Abbasid caliph , dies. His brother al-Mutawakkil prevailed over his sons as successors.
- Rabanus Maurus becomes Archbishop of Mainz as the successor to Otgar von Mainz , who died on April 21st .
- After the destruction of Hamburg by the Danes, the two dioceses of Bremen and Hamburg are brought together at a synod in Mainz . Bremen becomes the bishopric .
Date of death secured
- January 12th : Baturich , Bishop of Regensburg
- January 27 : Sergius II , Pope (* around 790 )
- April 21 : Otgar von Mainz , Archbishop of Mainz
- May 27th : Hetti , Archbishop of Trier