Calendar overview 844
|attack by the Vikings on Lisbon and Seville, Emir Abd ar-Rahman II defeated the attackers.|
|844 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||292/293 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1387/88 (southern Buddhism); 1386/87 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||58./59. (59./60.) Cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||206/207 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||222/223 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||229/230 (17/18 September)|
|Jewish calendar||4604/05 (September 15/16)|
ab urbe condita MDXCVII (1597)
Diocletian's era : 560/561 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1154/55 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1155/56 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||900/901 (turn of the year April)|
- May 23 : The alleged battle of Clavijo between Ramiro I and Abd ar-Rahman II takes place near the Spanish Clavijo .
- May 25 : A certificate allegedly issued by the Asturian King Ramiro I reports on his victory in the Battle of Clavijo. In gratitude for the help of St. Jacob , he decreed that all Christians in his country had to pay an annual fee to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela . The payments are recognized until, in the 18th century, the document is exposed as a forgery in favor of the beneficiary.
- Viking Age : After an attack by the Vikings on Lisbon and Seville, Emir Abd ar-Rahman II of Córdoba defeated the attackers.
- Rhodri the Great becomes king of the Welsh Kingdom of Gwynedd after the death of his father Merfyn Frych .
- First documented mention of Roding
Date of death secured
- January 11th : Michael I , Byzantine Emperor (* around 770 )
- January 25th : Gregory IV , Pope
- February 14 : Bernhard von Septimanien , Frankish politician (* 795 )
- June 14th : Hugo , son of Charlemagne, Frankish politician (* around 805)
Exact date of death unknown
- Berà , Count of Barcelona (* around 770 )
- Goztomuizli , Abodritic velvet ruler
- Merfyn Frych , King of Gwynedd
- Nithard , Franconian historian (* around 790 )