Calendar overview 843
Treaty of Verdun the Franconian Empire is divided
among the sons of Louis the Pious .
|843 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||291/292 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1386/87 (southern Buddhism); 1385/86 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||58th (59th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||205/206 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||221/222 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||228/229 (September 29/30)|
|Jewish calendar||4603/04 (29/30 August)|
ab urbe condita MDXCVI (1596)
Diocletian's era : 559/560 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1153/54 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1154/55 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||899/900 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- August 10th : The sons of Ludwig the Pious ( Ludwig the German , Karl der Kahle and Lothar I ) divide his empire in the Treaty of Verdun . This ends the inner-dynastic battles of the Carolingians .
- Norsemen storm the western French episcopal city of Nantes . They kill clergymen, loot churches and store their booty on the island of Noirmoutier in the Loire estuary , where they have set up a base.
- November: Treaty of Coulaines in western France
- Straßberg is first mentioned in a document.
- Islam in Italy : The Arabs conquer Messina in Sicily . However, a first attack by the Aghlabids on Rome fails.
- With his coronation on the Stone of Scone, Kenneth MacAlpin unites Scots and Picts in one nation for the first time and establishes the Alpin family . The entire area north of the Forth - Clyde line is ruled by a king. Today's Scotland is born.