Calendar overview 838
Arabs under Caliph Al-Mu'tasim bi-'llāh
conquer and destroy the Byzantine city of Amorion .
|838 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||286/287 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1381/82 (southern Buddhism); 1380/81 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||58th (59th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||200/201 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||216/217 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||223/224 (November 22/23)|
|Jewish calendar||4598/99 (September 22-23)|
ab urbe condita MDXCI (1591)
Diocletian's era : 554/555 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1148/49 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1149/50 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||894/895 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- In the Battle of Hingston Down in Cornwall , King Egbert of Wessex defeated the Danes and their Welsh allies .
- Pippin II succeeds his late father Pippin I as Duke of Aquitaine .
- Charles the Bald is crowned sub-king in Neustria .
- Establishment of a state of Rus on the Dnepr / Dnipro .
Islamic expansion / Byzantine Empire
- July 22nd : In the battle of Dazimon , Abbasid troops under Afschin defeat those of the Byzantine emperor Theophilos .
- August 1st : The siege of the Byzantine city of Amorion by the Arabs under Caliph Al-Mu'tasim bi-'llāh begins.
- Mid-August: The Arabs conquer Amorion and kill several thousand residents.
- Abu Iqal becomes Emir of the Aghlabids in North Africa.
First documentary mentions
- Ludwig the Pious transfers the churches to Reni and Wateringas , today's cities of Rheine and Wettringen in the Münsterland as well as an estate in Schöppingen , to the Herford Benedictine monastery . The deed of gift is the first documentary evidence of the existence of the Rhine and Wettringen.
- Eichtersheim and Rovigo are mentioned for the first time.
- December 26th : A severe storm surge on the North Sea coast hits Friesland in particular. More than 2000 people die. The Leybucht forms.
nature and environment
Date of death secured
- January 4th : Babak Khorramdin , Persian national hero (* 798 )
- July 18 : Friedrich I , Bishop of Utrecht (* around 780 )
- November 13th : Pippin I , King of Aquitaine (* 797 )