Calendar overview 850
|Vikings overwinter in southern England for the first time.|
|850 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||298/299 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1393/94 (southern Buddhism); 1392/93 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||212/213 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||228/229 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||235/236 (July 14/15)|
|Jewish calendar||4610/11 (September 10/11)|
from urbe condita MDCIII (1603)
Diocletian's era : 566/567 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1160/61 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1161/62 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||906/907 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Ludwig II , King of the Lombards, son of Lothar I , is crowned (co-) emperor by Pope Leo IV .
- The Zürichgau is separated from the Thurgau .
Northern Europe and British Isles
- Viking Age : The Vikings first winter during a raid in southern England after sacking Canterbury and London.
- Around 850 the Norwegian / Faroese Naddoddur discovered a country by chance, which he christened "Snow Country". Today it is called Iceland (Eisland).
- Ordoño I. , after his father's death I. Ramiro king of Asturias .
- Arab troops of the Aghlabids conquer Corsica.
- The republic of Castile begins
City foundations and first documentary mentions
- The city of Burgos is founded.
- First documented mention of Eubigheim , Oberissigheim , Lumbrein , Niederissigheim and Neunkirch
- around 850: Windecken is first mentioned in a document as Tezelenheim .
- Gunthar becomes Archbishop of Cologne .
- Altfried, Bishop of Hildesheim, founds a women's monastery in what is now Essen .
- Famine in Eastern Franconia
Date of birth saved
Exact date of birth unknown
- Adelheid of Friuli , wife of King Ludwig II of West Franconia († 901 )
- Du Guangting , Chinese Daoist and court scholar († 933 )
Born around 850
- 840/850 : Isaak ben Salomon Israeli , Egyptian doctor and Jewish philosopher (died around 932 )
- Arnulf of Carinthia , East Frankish King and Frankish Emperor († 899 )
- Berno von Baume , Franconian Benedictine, first abbot of Cluny († 927 )
- Hatto I , Abbot of the Reichenau Monastery and other imperial monasteries, Archbishop of Mainz and Arch Chancellor of the East Franconian Empire († 913 )
- Ki no Tomonori , Japanese poet († 904 )
Date of death secured
- February 1 : Ramiro I , King of Asturias (* around 790 )
- March 21 : Nimmyō , Japanese Emperor (* 810 )
- April 18th : Perfectus , martyr of Cordoba
- November 29 : Walterich , founder and first abbot of the Murrhardt Benedictine monastery
Exact date of death unknown
- David , Bishop of Lausanne
- Huangbo Xiyun , Chinese Chan master
- Li Deyu , Chinese politician (* 787 )
- William of Septimania , Count of Barcelona and Empúries (* 826 )