Calendar overview 899
|Alfred the Great dies.||Eduard the Elder succeeds him on the throne of the partial kingdom of Wessex .|
|899 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||347/348 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1442/43 (southern Buddhism); 1441/42 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||261/262 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||285/286 (turn of the year 16/17 January)|
|Jewish calendar||4659/60 (9/10 September)|
ab urbe condita MDCLII (1652)
Diocletian's era : 615/616 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1209/10 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1210/11 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||955/956 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Hungarian invasions : The Hungarians invade northern Italy. Berengar I is defeated on the Brenta .
- Between the Lorraine King Zwentibold and the envoy of the West Franconian King Charles III. take place in Sankt Goar in the presence of the East Franconian Great Peace Negotiations.
- Eduard the Elder of England succeeds his father Alfred the Great on the throne of the partial kingdom of Wessex .
- Insurgents against the Baghdad Abbasid Caliphate , named Qarmatians after one of their leaders , are founding a state in Bahrain .
First documentary mentions
- March 11th : Saalfeld / Saale is first mentioned in a document.
- First documented mention of Aplerbeck (today part of Dortmund ), Bad Rodach , Brünn (Münnerstadt) , Burglauer , Ellingen , Hackpfüffel , Hechlingen , Herongen (today part of the flower town Straelen ), Homburg TG , Hörgertshausen , Liedersdorf , walls , walls (Neustadt) , Oberhochstatt , Obersdorf (Sangerhausen) , Ockendorf , Pölsfeld , Poppenlauer , Tiverton , Treuchtlingen , Ursheim , Weimar , Weißenschirmbach and Westheim (Aurach)
- Nidhard becomes Bishop of Münster .
- Regino von Prüm has to give up his office as Abbot of Prüm . He becomes abbot of St. Maximin in Trier .
- October 26th : Alfred ("the great"), King of England (* 848 or 849 )
- December 8th : Arnulf of Carinthia , East Franconian King and Roman Emperor (* around 850 )
- Abu Shalaghlagh , leader of the Ismailis
- Eardulf , Bishop of Lindisfarne