Calendar overview 950
After the death of Howell the Good , his
Welsh empire of Deheubarth quickly fell into several parts.
|950 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||398/399 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1493/94 (southern Buddhism); 1492/93 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||312/313 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||338/339 (turn of the year June 19-20)|
|Jewish calendar||4710/11 (September 16-17)|
ab urbe condita MDCCIII (1703)
Diocletian's era : 666/667 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1260/61 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1261/62 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1006/07 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Beginning of the year: Liudolf , son of the East Franconian King Otto I , succeeds his father-in-law Hermann I, Duke of Swabia, who died the previous year .
- Lothar II , King of Italy , dies surprisingly on November 22nd at the age of around 22, probably by poisoning. Berengar II , Margrave of Ivrea , who has already held de facto power, is elected as the new king by the Lombard nobles together with his son Adalbert . Berengar plans to marry Lothar's widow Adelheid of Burgundy with his son, but she refuses.
- The East Franconian King Otto the Great subjugates Bohemia . Duke Boleslav I submitted to the suzerainty of the Ottonians and paid regular tributes.
- After the death of Hywel Dda , his Welsh empire quickly fell into several parts. Deheubarth is divided among Hywel's sons, and Gwynedd is taken over by his cousin Idwal Foel's sons. Hywel’s legislation is still in force throughout Wales for several centuries.
- The Emperor of the Byzantine Empire had the Adriatic coastal town of Ostrog expanded into a fortress.
Other events worldwide
- 950/ 951 : In China is during the time of Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period , the Later Han of the Later Zhou Dynasty conquered.
- The Tongan Empire formed around the year 950 in the Pacific region .
- The world population is an estimated 250 million people.
First documentary mentions
- April 15 : After the death of Ruthard , King Otto I appoints the Conradin Udo IV as Bishop of Strasbourg .
- The Benedictine monk Helmward succeeds Ebergisl , who died on October 18, as Bishop of Minden .
Date of birth saved
Born around 950
- Adelheid of Aquitaine , Queen of France († around 1004 )
- Bernhard I , Duke in Saxony († 1011 )
- Erik the Red , Norwegian-Icelandic navigator, explorer and conqueror († around 1003 )
- Koppány , Hungarian tribal prince († 998 )
- Notker III. , Benedictine monk and head of the monastery school in St. Gallen († 1022 )
- Sarolt , Grand Duchess of Hungary († around 1008 )
- Simeon bar Isaac , Jewish Talmud scholar and liturgical poet († 1015 / 1030 )
Date of death secured
- April 15 : Ruthard , Bishop of Strasbourg
- June 15 : Christian , Count of Northern Thuringia and Schwabengau and Margrave in the Serimunt district
- October 15 : Sunyer I , Count of Barcelona, Girona, Urgell and Osona (* before 911)
- October 18 : Ebergisl , Bishop of Minden (* before 927)
- October 18 : al-Qahir , Abbasid caliph (* 899 )
- November 22nd : Lothar II , King of Italy (* around 928 )