Calendar overview 880
Brun von Sachsen and other Franconian nobles
die in the battle of Ebstorf against the Vikings .
|880 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||328/329 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1423/24 (southern Buddhism); 1422/23 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||242/243 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||258/259 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||266/267 (August 11-12)|
|Jewish calendar||4640/41 (September 7/8)|
from urbe condita MDCXXXIII (1633)
Diocletian's era : 596/597 (turn of the year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1190/91 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1191/92 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||936/937 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- February 2 : Viking Age : In the battle of Ebstorf near Lüneburg between the Christian Saxons and the pagan Vikings who invaded the tribal duchy of Saxony , the bishops Markward von Hildesheim and Theoderich von Minden and the Saxon great Brun von Sachsen die . The Saxons suffer a terrible defeat.
- Franconian division of the empire : Through the Treaty of Ribemont , the East Franconian King Ludwig III. the western half of Lotharingia .
- September 22 : After Karlmann's death, his brother Ludwig III. the younger , who ruled in Franconia, Saxony, Thuringia and half of Lorraine, also Bavaria, Karlmann's son Arnulf of Carinthia the Margraviate of Carinthia .
- King Harald Fairhair forms an alliance of princes to unite Norway . In the south of the country he defeated an army of oppositional chiefs, who often rule no more than the narrow strip of land on the edge of a fjord . After the triumph, his followers make him king of all Norway.
- January 25 : The Preah Ko temple in what is now Cambodia , part of the Roluos group , is inaugurated.
- Abu-Bakr Muhammad ben Yahya as-Suli , master in Shatranj († 946 )
- Richer von Lüttich , West Franconian bishop († 945 )
- Fujiwara no Tadahira , Japanese court nobleman and regent under Emperor Suzaku († 949 )
- around 880: Beatrix von Vermandois , Queen of West Franconia and ancestral mother of the Capetian dynasty († around 905 )
- around 880: Howell the Good , King of Deheubarth († 950 )
- around 880: Konrad I , King of Eastern France († 918 )
- around 880: Rudolf II. , King of Hochburgund and Italy († 937 )
- around 880: Sinan ibn Thabit , Islamic doctor and astronomer († 943 )
Date of death secured
- February 2 : Brun , Duke of Saxony (* 830 / 840 )
- February 2nd : Markward von Hildesheim , Bishop of Hildesheim
- February 2nd : Theodorich von Minden , Bishop of Minden
- July 6th : Otgar , Prince-Bishop of Eichstätt
- July 9 : Ariwara no Narihira , Japanese Waka poet (* 825 )
- September 22nd : Karlmann , King of East Franconia and King of Italy (* around 830 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Ansgard of Burgundy , Queen of West Franconia (* 826 )
- Avo , Abbot of Corvey
- Burgred , King of Mercia
- Fatima al-Fihri , founder of the University of Fez