Calendar overview 943
|Kievan Rus conquered Bərdə .|
|943 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||391/392 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1486/87 (southern Buddhism); 1485/86 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||305/306 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||331/332 (turn of the year 3rd / 4th September)|
|Jewish calendar||4703/04 (September 3-4)|
from urbe condita MDCXCVI (1696)
Diocletian's era : 659/660 (turn of the year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1253/54 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1254/55 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||999/1000 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- August 12th : A Bavarian army under Duke Berthold defeats invading Magyars on the Wels Heath . The Hungarian invasions then subsided for several years.
- 942 or 943: Malcolm I becomes King of Scotland after his uncle Constantine II abdicated from the House of Alpin to live as a monk.
- The Ibadites under Abū Yazīd Machlad ibn Kaidād start a revolt in Ifrīqiya against the ruling dynasty of the Fatimids and Caliph al-Qa'im bi-amri 'llah .
- July 4th : After his death, King Wang Geon is given the honorary name Taejo . His eldest son Hyejong succeeds him to the throne of the Korean kingdom of Goryeo .
Science and culture
- The Arab philosopher and historian al-Masʿūdī completes his book of gold meadows and gem pits (مروج الذهب ومعادن الجوهر Murūdsch adh-dhahab wa-maʿādin al-dschauhar ).
- February 23 : Heribert II. , Count of Vermandois, Soissons and Meaux (* around 880 )
- July 4th : Taejo , as King Wang Geon founder of the Korean Goryeo empire and the Goryeo dynasty (* 877 )
- Alfred , Bishop of Sherborne
- Rudolf II , Count of Vexin, Amiens and Valois
- Sinan ibn Thabit , doctor, astronomer and mathematician (* around 880 )