Calendar overview 940
|Taira no Masakado is killed in battle.|
|940 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||388/389 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1483/84 (southern Buddhism); 1482/83 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||302/303 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||328/329 (New Year 5th / 6th October)|
|Jewish calendar||4700/01 (September 4th / 5th)|
ab urbe condita MDCXCIII (1693)
Diocletian's era : 656/657 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1250/51 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1251/52 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||996/997 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Eastern and Western France
- King Ludwig IV of West Franconia marries Gerberga of Lorraine , sister of King Otto I and widow of Duke Giselbert I , and lays claim to Lorraine .
- The East Franconian King Otto I expelled the West Franconian King Ludwig IV from Lorraine and enfeoffed his own brother Heinrich with the duchy. However, this cannot prevail there and is discontinued. Otto I then entrusts Otto von Verdun with the power of rule as prefect ( praeficiensque regioni Lothariorum ) for Giselbert's underage son.
- Kempten , a monastery in the Allgäu, is repeatedly pillaged by the Hungarians .
- The city of Fréjus is largely destroyed in an attack by Saracens .
- Duke Hugo the Great of France pays homage to King Otto I in the royal palace of Attigny .
British Isles / Viking Age
- Viking Age : Odo of Canterbury brokered a peace treaty between the English King Edmund I of the Anglo-Saxon house of Wessex and Olaf Guthfrithsson , Viking King of Dublin and Jorvik . Edmund had previously besieged Olaf in Leicester for a long time .
First documentary mentions
- June 4th : Oberhausen an der Appel is mentioned for the first time in a document from Otto the Great .
- First documented mention of Mörsch
- Count Heribert II of Vermandois drives Archbishop Artold out of Reims and reinstates his son Hugo there .
Date of birth saved
Exact date of birth unknown
Born around 940
- Heriger von Lobbes , Flemish clergyman and composer, abbot of Lobbes Abbey in Hainaut († 1007 )
- Willigis , Archbishop of Mainz († 1011 )
Date of death secured
- May 11 : Eutychius of Alexandria , Melkite Patriarch of Alexandria (* 876 / 77 )
- July 20 : ibn muqla , Arabic Calligraphy (* 885 / 886 )
- August 3rd : Benno von Einsiedeln , Bishop of Metz
- December 13 : Ar-Rādī bi-'llāh , twentieth Abbasid caliph (* 907 )