Calendar overview 938
|Ise , one of the thirty-six immortals in poetry , dies.|
|938 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||386/387 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1481/82 (southern Buddhism); 1480/81 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||300/301 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||326/327 (turn of the year 28/29 October)|
|Jewish calendar||4698/99 (August 29/30)|
ab urbe condita MDCXCI (1691)
Diocletian's era : 654/655 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1248/49 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1249/50 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||994/995 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Thankmar , rebellious half-brother of King Otto I, surrendered to Margrave Hermann Billung on July 28th on the Eresburg and was slain by his men in the castle chapel.
- King Otto I signs a friendship treaty with King Ludwig IV of West Franconia in order to contain the uprising in Franconia and Lorraine .
- Heinrich von Sachsen , younger brother of King Otto I, marries Judith von Bayern , sister of Duke Eberhard I. He strives for the crown and sympathizes with the rebels.
- Duke Eberhard von Franken , brother of the former King Konrad I of Eastern Franconia , joins the uprising of Duke Giselbert I of Lorraine .
- Duke Eberhard of Bavaria is deposed and banished by King Otto I. He is followed by his uncle Berthold , who renounces church sovereignty in favor of the empire.
- King Conrad III. of Burgundy feels threatened by King Hugo I of Italy and places himself under the protection of King Otto I.
- Ngô Quyền defeats the forces of the Southern Han Empire and establishes the first Vietnamese Empire.
- Jeju Island comes under the rule of the Korean Empire Goryeo .
First documentary mentions
- Biederitz is mentioned for the first time in a document in the tithes index of the Magdeburg Moritz monastery.
- The Stederburg is first mentioned in a document.
Culture and society
- al-Qaffāl al-Marwazī , Shafiite lawyer in Khorasan (d. 1026 )
- Romanos II , Emperor of the Byzantine Empire († 963 )
- Sancho II , King of Navarre († 994 )