|Edmund I of Wessex recaptured the Five Boroughs of Mercia from the Kingdom of Jórvík .|
|942 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||390/391 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1485/86 (southern Buddhism); 1484/85 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||304/305 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||330/331 (New Year 14/15 September)|
|Jewish calendar||4702/03 (September 14/15)|
from urbe condita MDCXCV (1695)
Diocletian's era : 658/659 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1252/53 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1253/54 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||998/999 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Republic of Venice
Pietro Badoer , 20th Doge of Venice , dies after a three-year reign. Pietro III becomes his successor . Candiano elected. He is the son of the 19th Doge Pietro II Candiano and grandson of the 16th Doge Pietro I Candiano .
- December 17 : Duke Wilhelm I Long Sword is murdered on a summer island near Picquigny by followers of Arnulf I of Flanders .
- King Edmund I of Wessex recaptured the Five Boroughs of Mercia (Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Stamford and Nottingham) from Olaf Guthfrithsson's son Olaf Cuaran , King of Jórvík , and formed a county there.
- 942 or 943 : Malcolm I becomes King of Scotland after his uncle Constantine II abdicated from the House of Alpin to live as a monk.
First documentary mentions
- Zollikofen is mentioned for the first time in a document.
- The Arabs introduce kettledrum and trumpets in Europe.
- October 30th : Marinus II becomes Pope as the successor to the late Stephen VIII. Like his predecessor, he is dependent on the powerful Roman prince Alberich II .
Date of death secured
- October 19 : Gozelo , Count in the Ardennengau (* around 914 )
- November 18 : Odo von Cluny , abbot of the Benedictine Abbey of Cluny and monastery reformer (* around 878 )
- December 17th : William I long sword , Norman Jarl and Count of Rouen
Exact date of death unknown
- October: Stephen VIII , Pope
- Pietro Badoer , Doge of Venice
- Saadia Gaon , Jewish philosopher (* 882 )
- Gunter , Bishop of Regensburg
- Volkmar I , Abbot of Corvey