Calendar overview 937
|Otto I. founds the Mauritius Monastery in Magdeburg .|
|937 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||385/386 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1480/81 (southern Buddhism); 1479/80 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||299/300 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||325/326 (turn of the year November 7th / 8th)|
|Jewish calendar||4697/98 (September 8/9)|
from urbe condita MDCXC (1690)
Diocletian's era : 653/654 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1247/48 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1248/49 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||993/994 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- July 13 : Konrad III. becomes king of Burgundy after the death of his father Rudolf II .
- July 14th : After the death of Arnulf I , his eldest son Eberhard becomes Duke of Bavaria . He refuses to pay homage to King Otto I after he has asked him to renounce the right of bishop investiture in the duchy.
- Thankmar , the older half-brother of King Otto I, feels neglected and leads an uprising in Franconia and Lorraine .
- Duke Giselbert of Lorraine rises against King Otto I and pulls the Counts of Verdun , Cambrai and Holland to his side.
- Hermann Billung pulls against the rebellious Thankmar of Saxony on behalf of King Otto I.
- Gero is appointed legate (commander-in-chief) by King Otto I in the Saxon border area to the Elbe Slavs . It begins with the establishment and conquest of the Saxon Ostmark .
- King Hugo I of Italy married in December in Colombier on Lake Geneva in 3rd marriage Bertha von Burgund, b. von Schwaben, widow of Rudolf II., and betrothed his son Lothar to their six-year-old daughter Adelheid.
- King Æthelstan of Wessex and his brother Edmund I defeat a united army of the Danes , Irish and Scots in the battle of Brunanburh .
First documentary mentions
- The town of Pfullingen in the Duchy of Swabia is mentioned for the first time in a deed of gift from King Otto I the Great.
- Friedrich becomes Archbishop of Mainz . He follows Hildebert , who died on May 31st .
- September 21 : King Otto I founds the St. Mauritius Monastery in Magdeburg . The monastery, which Otto also intended to be used as the future family burial site, was given rich gifts from the start and given numerous privileges.
- Li Houzhu , Chinese poet and last king of the southern Tang Empire († 978 )
- as-Sulami , Persian and Islamic Sufi († 1021 )
Date of death secured
- July 10th : Siegfried von Merseburg , Saxon nobleman
- July 12th / 13th : Rudolf II. , King of Burgundy (* around 880 )
- July 14th : Arnulf I the Evil , Duke of Bavaria
- July 15 : Meginwarch , East Franconian nobleman
Exact date of death unknown
- Abbo , Bishop of Soissons
- David II , King of Georgia (* before 897)
- Gagik I. , Armenian prince (* 904 )
- Tidhelm , Bishop of Hereford