Calendar overview 939
|Æthelstan , King of England , dies.|
|939 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||387/388 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1482/83 (southern Buddhism); 1481/82 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||301/302 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||327/328 (turn of the year 17th / 18th October)|
|Jewish calendar||4699/4700 (September 16-17)|
ab urbe condita MDCXCII (1692)
Diocletian's era : 655/656 (turn of the year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1249/50 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1250/51 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||995/996 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- July 14 : The ruling prince in Rome . Alberich II appoints a day after the death of Leo VII. With Stephan VIII. A Pope who is completely under his influence.
Eastern and Western France
- King Otto I. defeats an army of rebels under his brother Heinrich in March near Xanten . After the collapse of the uprising, he invaded the duchies of Franconia and Lorraine .
- October 2 : Duke Giselbert of Lorraine and Duke Eberhard of Franconia , the leaders of the great uprising against King Otto I, lose battle and life against the Conradin supporters of Otto I, Konrad Kurzbold and Udo near Andernach . The Duchy of Franconia is extinguished with the death of Eberhard. Franconia is then directly subordinated to the king.
- Heinrich von Sachsen, brother of Otto I, flees to West Franconia after the defeats of Xanten and Andernach . He submits to his brother and is pardoned.
- Archbishop Friedrich von Mainz , Archkaplan, wants to mediate between the rebels and King Otto I, but who wants unconditional submission. He then leaves his entourage and falls from grace.
- Duke Hugo the Great breaks with his previous protégé King Ludwig IV. He allies himself with King Otto I and forms a strong opposition with the Counts of Vermandois , Flanders and Rouen (Normandy).
- From their bridgehead in Fraxinetum , the Saracens advance to St. Gallen .
Republic of Venice
- October 27th : Æthelstan , King of England from the Anglo-Saxon house of Wessex dies, he is succeeded by his brother Edmund I.
- Caliph Abd al-Rahman III. , first caliph of Cordoba , wages a "campaign of omnipotence" against the kingdoms of León and Navarre , but is defeated by Christian troops under King Ramiro II of León in the battle of Simancas and on the retreat near Alhandega . Christian and Moorish chronicles tell of a solar eclipse on the day of the battle. For the first time in centuries, the Christians conquered large areas south of the Duero , including the city of Salamanca , but their territorial gains remained contested for a long time.
- probably 939: The Icelandic volcano Katla begins a series of eruptions that extend into the stratosphere . The Eldgjá volcanic fissure is formed in the spring with far-reaching climatic consequences. The outbreak has been linked to reports of a very cold winter in 939/940, accompanied by poor harvests and famine in parts of Europe, China and Persia. In addition, significant fluctuations in temperature and precipitation can be detected in the entire northern hemisphere in the following years.
Date of death secured
- July 13 : Leo VII , Pope
- October 2 : Eberhard , Duke of Franconia (* around 885 )
- October 2 : Giselbert von Lothringen , Duke of Lorraine (* around 890 )
- October 27 : Æthelstan , King of England (* 894 )