Calendar overview 994
|Wolfgang , missionary and bishop of Regensburg dies.|
|994 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||442/443 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1537/38 (southern Buddhism); 1536/37 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||61st (62nd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||356/357 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||383/384 (turn of the year February 14/15)|
|Jewish calendar||4754/55 (September 7/8)|
ab urbe condita MDCCXLVII (1747)
Diocletian's era : 710/711 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1304/05 (April)
Syria: 1305/06 (October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1050/51 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- July 10th : After the death of Leopold I , his son Heinrich I becomes Margrave of Austria .
- December: García II becomes King of Navarre and Count of Aragón after the death of his father Sancho II .
- The Roman-German King Otto III. gradually emancipates himself from the reign of his grandmother Adelheid of Burgundy and increasingly makes his own decisions. He made his confidante Heribert von Köln Arch Chancellor of Italy , an office that was previously reserved exclusively for Italians.
- Lambert I becomes Count von Löwen .
- Viking Age : Viking attack on Stade , probably with the participation of the Danish King Sven Gabelbart ; first documentary mention of the city by Thietmar von Merseburg .
- to 986 /994: In the battle of hjörungavágr between the Norwegian Jarl Håkon and a Danish allegedly from the fleet, Jomswikingern is supported, win the Norwegians .
- Rajaraja I. , ruler of the Chola , invades the heartland of the Chera and destroys the ships of Bhaskara Ravi Varman Thiruvadi in the battle of Kandalur Salai .
City rights and first documentary mentions
- Quedlinburg receives from King Otto III. awarded the city charter. Linked to this are market, coin and customs law.
- First documentary mention of Kirchberg BE and Uetendorf
- Ludolf succeeds Egbert, who died the previous year, as Archbishop of Trier .
- Gebhard I. succeeds Wolfgang , who died on October 31st, as Bishop of Regensburg .
- Count Palatine Aribo I of Bavaria and his wife Adala found the Seeon Monastery .
- Benedictines found the Santa Maria in Strada monastery north of Bologna .
- 994/ 995 : The Abbey of St. Victor in front of Mainz was founded and in the presence of Otto III. inaugurated by the Archbishop of Mainz Willigis .
- November 7 : Abū Muhammad ʿAlī ibn Ahmad Ibn Hazm az-Zāhirī al-Andalusī , Arab polymath in the Caliphate of Cordoba († 1064 )
- Abū Bakr Ahmad ibn Husain ibn ʿAli ibn Mūsā al-Chusraudschirdī al-Baihaqi , Sunni scholar († 1066 )
- Alfonso V , King of León († 1028 )
- February 19 : Erp , Bishop of Verden
- April 23 : Gerhard I , Bishop of Toul (* 935 )
- April: Ekbert vom Ambergau , Count in Amberau and Derlingau, Vogt of the Diocese of Münster and Lord of the Alaburg (* around 932 )
- July 10 : Leopold I , Margrave of Austria (* around 940 )
- August 28 : Hadwig , Duchess of Swabia (* around 940 )
- October 28 : Sigeric the Serious , Bishop of Ramsbury and Archbishop of Canterbury
- October 31 : Wolfgang , missionary and bishop of Regensburg, saint of the Catholic Church (* around 924 )
- December: Sancho II , King of Navarre and Count of Aragón (* 938 )