, Ludwig V ruled the West Franconian Empire .
|986 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||434/435 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1529/30 (southern Buddhism); 1528/29 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||61st (62nd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||348/349 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||375/376 (turn of the year 12/13 May)|
|Jewish calendar||4746/47 (September 6-7)|
ab urbe condita MDCCXXXIX (1739)
Diocletian's era : 702/703 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1296/97 (April)
Syria: 1297/98 (October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1042/43 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- March 2 : After the death of King Lothar , Ludwig V , co-king since 979 , ruled the West Franconian Empire alone. There are two parties in his court. Ludwig's mother Emma is strongly influenced by her mother, Empress Adelheid , and thus represents a friendly policy towards the Ottonians ; Archbishop Adalbero of Reims also belonged to this direction . The opposing party wants to continue Lothar's course, which aims to eliminate any weakness of the underage emperor Otto III. exploit to pursue an expansion policy in the east again and to win back the old Lotharingien forcibly. By far the most powerful of Ludwig's vassals is Hugo Capet , Duke of France and Burgundy . This belongs to the Robertin family , which has long rivaled the Carolingians for the leading position in the empire and has already provided two West Franconian kings.
- November 26th : The French city of Montpellier is first mentioned in a document.
East Franconian-German Empire
The five-year-old King Otto III. celebrates Easter in Quedlinburg . The four dukes Heinrich the Quarrel as truchess , Konrad von Schwaben as chamberlain , Heinrich the Younger of Carinthia as cupbearer and Bernhard of Saxony as marshal exercise the court offices there. Through this service the dukes symbolize their willingness to serve the king. In addition, the service of Henry the Quarrel at the place of his usurpation, which had failed two years earlier, symbolizes his complete submission to royal grace.
Byzantine Empire / Bulgaria
- 986/ 994 : In the battle of hjörungavágr between the Norwegian Jarl Håkon and a Danish allegedly from the fleet, Jomswikingern is supported, win the Norwegians .
Greenland / North America
- Viking Age : Erik the Red started the settlement activity of the Northmen in Greenland , see: Grænlendingar
- Scandinavian colonization of America : Bjarni Herjúlfsson allegedly sighted the North American continent .
- The Chinese Song Dynasty undertakes another campaign to northern China to subdue the Kitan under the Liao Dynasty , but is again repulsed.
- The Vietnamese martial art Viet vu dao is described in the royal annals.
- The monastery Walsrode is founded by Count whales.
- Abū l-Qāsim ʿAbd al-Karīm ibn Hawāzin al-Quschairī , Islamic theologian († 1072 )
- Bezprym , Duke of Poland († 1032 )
- Constanze of Provence , Queen of France († 1034 )
- Poppo von Babenberg , Archbishop of Trier († 1047 )
- Rainald I , Count of Burgundy († 1057 )
Date of death secured
- March 2 : Lothar , King of the West Franconian Empire (* 941 )
- May 25 : Abd ar-Rahman as-Sufi , Persian astronomer (* 903 )
Died around 985
- 985 /986: Basil Lekapenos , Byzantine eunuch and Regent (* around 925 )
- 985 /986: Rikdag , Margrave of Meissen, Margrave of Merseburg and Zeitz and Gaugraf in schwabengau, Gau Gau Chutizi and Daleminzi