Portal history | Portal Biographies | Current events | Annual calendar
9th century |
| 11th century
◄ | 950 | 960s | 970s | 980s | 990s | 1000s | 1010s | ►
◄◄ | ◄ | 977 | 978 | 979 | 980 | 981 | 982 | 983 | 984 | 985 | ► | ►►
Calendar overview 981
|Moors under Almansor conquer and destroy Zamora .|
|981 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||429/430 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1524/25 (southern Buddhism); 1523/24 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||61st (62nd) cycle
Year of the Metal Snake辛巳 ( at the beginning of the year Metal Dragon 庚辰)
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||343/344 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||359/360 (turn of the year March)|
|Islamic calendar||370/371 (turn of the year 6/7 July)|
|Jewish calendar||4741/42 (September 2/3)|
ab urbe condita MDCCXXXIV (1734)
Diocletian's era : 697/698 (turn of the year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1291/92 (April)
Syria: 1292/93 (October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1037/38 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
East Franconian-German Empire / Italy
- February 9 : The East Frankish-German Emperor Otto II arrives in Rome on his Italian expedition and leads the expelled Pope Benedict VII back to the city. A splendid court day is held at Easter.
- Otto II. Leads from September 22 an army against the Kalbite under Emir Abu al-Qasim that since the death of Pandulf I always come up in southern Italy . He first conquered Salerno , where he celebrated Christmas.
- Ramiro III. von León is defeated by Almansor at Rueda and has to pay tribute. On July 9, the Christian empires in the north of the Iberian Peninsula suffer another crushing defeat near Torrevicente .
- The Moors from the Caliphate of Cordoba under Almansor conquer and destroy Zamora .
- Conan I , Count of Rennes , moves against the county of Nantes to gain supremacy in the Duchy of Brittany . In the first battle of Conquereuil , Count Gottfried I of Nantes from the first house of Anjou managed to defend himself against the attackers. The status quo in the duchy remains.
- August 13 : After Gyeongjong's death, his cousin Seongjong succeeds him to the throne of the Korean kingdom of Goryeo . He inherits neglected state business and a failed state reform, which is why he relies on the perspective of Confucian scholars after taking office. Under Seongjong, state officials are sent to the provinces for the first time to head the local administration. He thereby contributes to the installation of a functioning system of local administration. He also tries to involve as many people of the local upper class as possible in the aristocracy of the seat of government and to educate their children and attentively observes the opinions and positions of his aristocratic officials, who are very familiar with Chinese knowledge. King Seongjong lays the foundation for a functioning aristocratic order in the Goryeo empire.
First documentary mentions
- The places Penig , Przemyśl , Birkenfeld and the Rothreußen area are first mentioned in a document.
- January / February: Emperor Otto II imposes a trade blockade against the Republic of Venice under the Doge's Tribuno Memmo , but this has little effect.
- When the first Archbishop of Magdeburg , Adalbert , died on June 20, the Merseburg Bishop Giselher got the Emperor and Pope to succeed him, while the Diocese of Merseburg was dissolved and its territory under the neighboring Dioceses of Zeitz and Meißen and the Archdiocese Magdeburg is divided.
Date of death secured
- July 9 : Ramiro Garcés , King of Viguera
- August 13 : Gyeongjong , King of the Korean Kingdom of Goryeo (* 955 )
- October 7th : Ohtrich , Catholic theologian and philosopher
Exact date of death unknown
- Abū Bakr Ahmad ibn ʿAlī al-Jassās , Hanafi scholar (* 917 )
- Ælfstan , Bishop of Ramsbury
- Dudo , Bishop of Havelberg
- Olaf Cuaran , King of Dublin and Jorvik
- Pandulf I. , Prince of Capua and Benevento
- Wigger I. , progenitor of the Counts of Bilstein
Died around 981
- Burkhard , Margrave of the Ostmark (* after 926)
Commons : 981 - Collection of pictures, videos and audio files