Calendar overview 1003
Prince of Bohemia for the first time .
William of Dijon
founds the Fruttuaria Abbey
in San Benigno Canavese .
|1003 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||451/452 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1546/47 (southern Buddhism); 1545/46 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||61st (62nd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||365/366 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||393/394 (turn of the year 29/30 October)|
|Jewish calendar||4763/64 (August 29/30)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1313/14 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1314/15 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1059/60 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- The king's ride by Heinrich II. On the occasion of the king's election in 1002 ends in Diedenhofen , Lorraine , where Heinrich's first big court day takes place on January 15th .
- January: Duke Otto of Carinthia suffers a heavy defeat at the Veronese Klause against Arduin von Ivrea , the King of Italy .
- May 4th : After the death of Hermann II , King Heinrich II takes over for Hermann III. , the still underage son of the Duke, the government of the Duchy of Swabia and thus effectively ousted the Konradines from power. The reason for this is probably not only Hermann's minority, but also his father's opposition to Heinrich in the previous year's election.
- August: When Heinrich II does not keep the promise given to Heinrich von Schweinfurt when the king was elected to enfeoff him with the Duchy of Bavaria , the Schweinfurt feud begins . He allied himself with, among others, the Polish Duke Bolesław Chrobry and Bruno von Augsburg , the king's brother, and there were armed conflicts in the Nordgau , in which the rebels were ultimately defeated. The ducal dignity of Bavaria then goes to Heinrich von Luxemburg , the king's brother-in-law.
- Jaromír and his brother Oldřich overthrow his third brother Boleslav III. and becomes Prince of Bohemia for the first time . A little later, the Polish Duke Bolesław Chrobry occupied Bohemia and placed Boleslav III. back on. After Boleslav III. the representatives of the Vršovci clan who were at war with him had murdered, but Bolesław Chrobry withdrew his support.
- Oliva de Besalú resigns as Count of Berga and goes to the monastery of Santa Maria de Ripoll . He is succeeded by Wilfried II , Count of Cerdanya .
- War breaks out between the Italian maritime republics of Pisa and Lucca .
First documentary mentions
- Essen is mentioned by name as a city for the first time.
- First documentary mention of Kirchheim am Neckar and Kronach (as "Urbs Crana")
- First documentary mention of the Cologne district of Köln-Kalk
- Pope Silvester II dies on May 12th after four years of pontificate in Rome. Just four days later Giovanni Sicco was raised to his successor by the Roman patrician John II Crescentius . He chooses the name John XVII. with which he gave the antipope John XVI, Wants to give legitimacy. This is how the wrong counting of the popes with the name John begins. The Pope , dependent on Johannes Crescentius, dies after a short term on November 6th .
- December 25th : The cardinal priest of St. Peter, the Benedictine Johannes Fasanus, becomes Pope John XVIII. and takes over his pontificate. Like his predecessor John XVII. he is raised to Pope by the Roman Patricius John II Crescentius and is dependent on him.
Foundations of monasteries
- On February 23, the Burgundian-Italian abbot, monastery reformer and architect Wilhelm von Dijon founded the Fruttuaria Abbey in San Benigno Canavese about 20 km north of Turin . This monastery was founded by Arduin , Margrave of Ivrea and King of Italy , and his wife Berta, as well as Otto Wilhelm , Count of Burgundy , who are among his relatives.
- April 1st : Archbishop Heribert of Cologne rededicated the Deutz castle into the Benectin monastery of Deutz Abbey .
- April 15 : Benedictines found the Ilsenburg Monastery .
- Archbishop Giselher von Magdeburg consecrates Hildeward as successor to Hugo II as Bishop of Zeitz .
Exact date of birth unknown
- Herleva , mother of the future English King Wilhelm I († 1050 )
- Ibn Zaidun , Arab poet in al-Andalus († 1071 )
Born around 1003
Date of death secured
- January 25 : Lothar , Count von Walbeck and Margrave of the Nordmark (* around 940 )
- January 26th : Rozala-Susanna of Italy , countess of Flanders and wife of the future French king Robert II (* around 955 )
- May 4th : Hermann II , Duke of Swabia
- May 12 : Gerbert von Aurillac, under the name Silvester II Pope (* around 950 )
- November 6th : Giovanni Sicco, under the name of John XVII. Pope
- December 24th : Wilhelm II. , Count of Weimar (* around 930 )
Exact date of death unknown
- January: Vladivoj , Duke of Bohemia (* around 981 )
- Gregor von Narek , Armenian monk and writer (* 951 )