journey to Italy , Otto I married
the Italian Queen Adelheid of Burgundy .
|951 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||399/400 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1494/95 (southern Buddhism); 1493/94 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||313/314 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||339/340 (turn of the year June 8/9)|
|Jewish calendar||4711/12 (September 3-4)|
from urbe condita MDCCIV (1704)
Diocletian's era : 667/668 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1261/62 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1262/63 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1007/08 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Eastern France / Italy
- When Adelheid of Burgundy , the widow of King Lothar II of Italy who was murdered the previous year , refuses to marry his son Adalbert , the new King Berengar II arrests her in a tower of the Garda Castle . However, she manages to escape to Canossa Castle with her daughter Emma . Both her distant relative Liudolf von Schwaben and his father Otto I set off to Italy to support them.
- Spring: Liudolf's campaign fails after he has been betrayed to Berengar by his uncle Heinrich I of Bavaria.
- September: Otto I defeats Berengar on his first move to Italy , marries Adelheid of Burgundy in October in Pavia and then declares himself king of the Lombards . Berengar withdraws to the mountain fortress of San Marino .
- Alberich II , ruler of Rome and the papacy since 932 , with his influence on Pope Agapitus II prevents Otto I's attempt to move to Rome for the imperial coronation.
- Christmas: Duke Liudolf of Swabia is celebrating a big festival in the Palatinate Saalfeld . He provokes his father and his uncle with royal ceremonies.
- Ordoño III. becomes King of León and ruler of Galicia, succeeding his late father Ramiro II . However, his claim to the throne is contested by his half-brother Sancho , who knows the support of the kingdoms of Navarre and the county of Castile behind him.
- 950 /951: In China is during the time of Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period , the Later Han of the Later Zhou Dynasty under Guo Wei defeated. After ascending to the throne, Guo Wei began a series of reforms: he reduced labor and taxes, at the same time he disciplined the army and reformed the administration in order to fight corruption and mismanagement.
First documentary mentions
The Gosen-wakashū , a waka anthology from the early Heian period in Japan, is completed. The five members of the Nashitsubo no gonin Ōnakatomi no Yoshinobu , Kiyohara no Motosuke , Minamoto no Shitagō , Ki no Tokibumi and Sakanoue no Mochiki worked on the second imperial anthology commissioned by the 62nd Tennō Murakami .
- Dominic of Sora , Benedictine monk, hermit, traveling preacher and monastery founder († 1031 )
- Gregor von Narek , Armenian monk and writer († 1003 )
- Heinrich II , Duke of Bavaria († 995 )
- around 951: Romuald , Catholic saint and founder of the Camaldolese order († 1027 )
- around 951: Ibn Yunus , Egyptian astronomer and mathematician († 1009 )
- around 951: al-Istachri , Persian-Islamic geographer and cartographer
- 951/ 955 : Ælfric , Bishop of Hereford