Calendar overview 956
|Sancho I becomes King of León .|
|956 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||404/405 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1499/1500 (southern Buddhism); 1498/99 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||318/319 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||344/345 (turn of the year 14/15 April)|
|Jewish calendar||4716/17 (September 7/8)|
from urbe condita MDCCIX (1709)
Diocletian's era : 672/673 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1266/67 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1267/68 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1012/13 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- End of January: Eadwig is crowned King of England as the successor to his father Eadred, who died the previous year . This leads to a dispute with Abbot Dunstan because Eadred Dunstan was very generous in his will.
- April: After the death of his father-in-law Giselbert , twelve-year-old Otto becomes formally Duke of Burgundy . In the same year, however, his father dies and leaves him without a guardian. The West Franconian King Lothar and his mother Gerberga use this weakness , march into the duchy and occupy Dijon .
- June 16 : Hugo the Great , the most powerful aristocrat in western France, dies . Since his children are all underage, Rainald I follows him as Count of Sens . The Duchy of Franzien was only given back as a fief in 960 .
- End of the year: The East Franconian King Otto I sends his son Liudolf of Swabia again to Imperial Italy to fight King Berengar II , who is trying to recapture the Margraviate of Verona , and besieging the Margrave Azzo in Canossa .
- Sancho I follows his late half-brother Ordoño III. as King of León .
- Reginar III. , Count of Hainaut , attacks Brussels and makes the West Frankish King Lothar an enemy.
First documentary mentions
- 956/ 957 : Romanos , son of the Byzantine emperor . Constantine VII , marries Anastaso , the daughter of an innkeeper.
- February 27th : Theophylaktos Lakapenos dies after falling from a horse. On April 3 is Polyeuctus his successor as patriarch of Constantinople Opel appointed.
- Heinrich I becomes Archbishop of Trier after Ruotbert died of the plague on May 19th at the Court Day in Cologne .
- around 956: Adalbert of Prague , Bishop of Prague, Christian missionary to the Hungarians and Prussians and martyr († 997 )
- around 956: Irmintrud von Avalgau , Count Palatine von der Wetterau († 1020 )
- February 27 : Theophylaktos Lakapenos , Patriarch of Constantinople (* 917 )
- April 8 or 16 : Giselbert , Duke of Burgundy (* around 900 )
- May 19 : Ruotbert , Archbishop of Trier
- May 25th : Hadamar , Abbot of Fulda
- June 16 : Hugo the Great , Duke of Franconia / Duke of Franzien (* around 895 )