Calendar overview 960
|Byzantine Emperor Romanos II sends a fleet under Nikephoros Phokas against the emirate of Crete .|
Harald Blauzahn is baptized
by Bishop Poppo .
Song Dynasty in China .
|960 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||408/409 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1503/04 (southern Buddhism); 1502/03 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||322/323 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||348/349 (turn of the year March 2/3)|
|Jewish calendar||4720/21 (23/24 September)|
ab urbe condita MDCCXIII (1713)
Diocletian's era : 676/677 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1270/71 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1271/72 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1016/17 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- February 4th : Field Marshal Song Taizu comes to power through a coup in the Empire of China and establishes the Song Dynasty . The time of the Five Dynasties and Ten Empires ends.
- Spring: The Byzantine Emperor Romanos II sends a fleet under his military leader Nikephoros Phokas against the emirate of Crete . The siege of the capital Candia begins in May.
- November 8th : In the battle of Andrassos in the Taurus Mountains , Leo Phokas the Younger defeated the troops of the Hamdanid emirate of Aleppo under the emir Saif ad-Daula during his retreat with the Byzantine army . Saif al-Daula narrowly escapes, but his army is destroyed. The power of the Hamdanids is completely broken.
- King Berengar II of Italy tries to bring the Patrimony of Peter into his sphere of influence in Northern Italy . Pope John XII Thereupon in autumn asked the East Franconian King Otto I for help. The Archbishop of Milan and the Bishops of Como and Novara join the call for help.
Other events in Europe
- Sancho I. drives Ordoño IV. With the help of the Kingdom of Navarre and Caliph Abd ar-Rahman III. of Córdoba and becomes King of León again after two years . Ordoño flees to Asturias.
First documentary mentions
- First documented mention of Bohlsbach , Bonaduz , Drübeck and Illingen .
- The Portuguese cities of Amares and Sernancelhe are first mentioned in a document.
- Christianization of Scandinavia : The Danish King Harald Blauzahn is baptized by Bishop Poppo at Poppostein . The Danes become Christians .
- Godehard , Bishop of Hildesheim and saint († 1038 )
- Øssur Havgrímsson , Faroese nobleman, figure of the Faroese saga († 983 )
- Vladimir I , Grand Prince of Kiev, saint of the Russian Orthodox Church († 1015 )
- to 950 /960: Bernward , Bishop of Hildesheim († 1022 )
- around 960: Adala of Bavaria , Countess Palatine of Bavaria and Countess in Chiemgau († 1020 )
- around 960: Dedo I , Count of Wettin († 1009 )
- around 960: Gerschom ben Jehuda , Jewish legal scholar in Mainz († 1028 or 1040 )
- around 960: Theophanu , Byzantine princess and Empress of the Holy Roman Empire († 991 )
- around 960: Turið Torkilsdóttir , Faroese nobleman, figure of the Faroese saga († before 1047)