Portal history | Portal Biographies | Current events | Annual calendar
9th century |
| 11th century
◄ | 920s | 930s | 940s | 950 | 960s | 970s | 980s | ►
◄◄ | ◄ | 951 | 952 | 953 | 954 | 955 | 956 | 957 | 958 | 959 | ► | ►►
Calendar overview 955
|Otto the Great defeats the Hungarians in the battle on the Lechfeld and ends the Hungarian invasions .|
|955 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||403/404 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1498/99 (southern Buddhism); 1497/98 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle
Year of the wooden hare乙卯 ( at the beginning of the year wooden tiger 甲寅)
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||317/318 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||343/344 (turn of the year April 26-27)|
|Jewish calendar||4715/16 (September 19-20)|
ab urbe condita MDCCVIII (1708)
Diocletian's era : 671/672 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1265/66 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1266/67 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1011/12 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Central and Eastern Europe
- March: Reginar III. , Count of Hainaut , invades Liège and drives out the local Bishop Rather von Verona . This goes to Mainz and is replaced by Reginar's relatives Balderich .
- presumably May 1st : In the last battle of the Liudolfin uprising in Eastern Franconia , the last supporters of Count Palatine Arnulf of Bavaria , who fell last year, are defeated by troops loyal to the King near Mühldorf am Inn . Among other things, Archbishop Herold of Salzburg is taken prisoner. On the orders of King Otto I and his brother Heinrich I of Bavaria, he was blinded for high treason and sent into exile in Säben . Friedrich I of the Sieghardinger family becomes the new Archbishop of Salzburg.
- During the Hungarian invasions , the Saxon aristocrat Wichmann II and Ekbert vom Ambergau , both of whom were already involved in the Liudolfin uprising, join forces with the Slavic prince Nakon and his brother Stoignew and invade Saxony .
- 10 August : Otto I the Great, triumphs over the army of horsemen of the Magyars in the Battle of Lechfeld . This is the end of the more than 50 years of incursions into Hungary. Konrad the Red , one of the leaders of the East Franconian contingent, was killed in battle. The Hungarian leaders Bulcsú and Lehel will be executed in Regensburg in late summer.
- October 16 : In the Battle of the Raxa , Otto the Great prevails against the Slavic Abodrites , Wilzen , Tollensians and Zirzipans . The head of the Abodrite prince Stoignew is allegedly cut off by the Saxon knight Hosed.
- November 1st : After the death of Heinrich I of Bavaria, his son Heinrich II succeeds him as duke on the throne. The four-year-old is temporarily under the tutelage of his mother Judith .
- A joint campaign by the West Franconian King Lothar and the powerful nobleman Hugo the Great to Aquitaine to subjugate Duke Wilhelm Weghaupt remains unsuccessful despite a battle won after Wilhelm Poitiers has successfully defended. Hugo's sovereignty over Aquitaine thus remains nominal.
- Ordoño III. von León attacks the Moorish city of Lisbon in the course of the Reconquista . After this show of strength, an agreement is reached between Ordoño III. and Abd ar-Rahman III. , the caliph of Cordoba .
- The Kurdish dynasty of the Rawadids is founded.
- December 16 : The minor Octavian of Spoleto arrives under the name of John XII. as the successor of Agapitus II , who died on November 8th, to the chair of Peter. Alberic II , absolute ruler of Rome and the papacy, made the Roman nobles swear an oath on their deathbed last year to make his son pope.
- 951 /955: Athulf follows the late Ælfric as Bishop of Hereford .
- 955/ 957 : Christianization of Rus : When visiting Konstantin Opel at Kaiser . Constantine VII can be Olga of Kiev , regent of the Kievan Rus baptized.
- November 9 : Gyeongjong , King of the Korean Kingdom of Goryeo († 981 )
- December: Mathilde , first abbess of the Quedlinburg Abbey († 999 )
- Ælfric Grammaticus , Anglo-Saxon scholar († 1020 )
- al-ʿAzīz , Caliph of the Fatimids († 996 )
- Eido I , Bishop of Meissen († 1015 )
- Fujiwara no Michikane , Japanese politician († 995 )
- Otto II , Holy Roman Emperor († 983 )
- around 955: Arnulf , Count of Holland or West Friesland and Burgrave of Ghent († 993 )
- around 955: Oleg Svyatoslawitsch , Prince of the Drewlyans († 977 )
Date of death secured
- August 10 : Konrad the Red , Duke of Lorraine (* around 922 )
- Late August / early September: Bulcsú , Hungarian warlord
- Late August / early September: Lehel , Hungarian warlord
- October 16 : Stoignew , Elbe Slavic prince
- November 1 : Henry I , Duke of Bavaria (* 919 / 922 )
- November 8th : Agapitus II , Pope
- November 23 : Eadred , King of England (* around 924 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Satoq Bugra Khan , Sultan of the Qarakhanids
- Thiento von Wessobrunn , abbot at Wessobrunn monastery
Died around 955
Commons : 955 - Collection of pictures, videos and audio files