Calendar overview 924
|Edward the Elder , King of Wessex , dies.|
|924 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||372/373 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1467/68 (southern Buddhism); 1466/67 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||286/287 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||311/312 (turn of the year 8/9 April)|
|Jewish calendar||4684/85 (September 1st and 2nd)|
ab urbe condita MDCLXXVII (1677)
Diocletian's era : 640/641 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1234/35 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1235/36 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||980/981 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Fruela II , King of Asturias , becomes King of León and Galicia after the death of his brother Ordoño II . Asturias is thus merged into León.
- Emir Abd ar-Rahman III. of Córdoba conquered and destroyed Pamplona , the capital of the Kingdom of Navarre .
- July 17th : Edward the Elder , King of Wessex , dies. His son and successor Æthelweard only survived him by 16 days. His brother Æthelstan eventually takes over the throne of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom.
- April 7th : Emperor Berengar I , King of Italy , is murdered in Verona . This made his rival Rudolf II of Burgundy sole ruler in Italy.
- The East Franconian King Heinrich I was defeated by the Hungarians , but was able to hold his own at Bichni Castle near Wurzen . He concludes a nine-year armistice against payment of tribute in the royal palace of Werla . Secured in this way, he began to build up a cavalry army and expand refuges in Saxony and Thuringia .
- Duke Burchard II. Of Swabia rises Zurich metropolis and mint his duchy.
- King Rudolf I of West Franconia fends off attacks by the Normans , but has to grant them land gains.
- Prince Tomislav of Croatia unites the tribes of Croatia and Dalmatia and subdues the Byzantine coastal cities. He proclaimed himself king and used by Pope John X recognized. At the Synod of Spalato / Split he subordinates the old diocese of Nin to the Archdiocese of Split .
- Tsar Simeon I of Bulgaria subjugates the Raizen / Serbs . When he also attacks the Croatians, he is repulsed and accepts a peace that Pope John X. mediates.
First documentary mentions
- Ballwil , Bettwil , Büttikon , Dulliken , Eschenbach LU , Hilfikon , Hochdorf , Lenzburg , Mägenwil , Muri , Neukirchen am Simssee , Niederwil and Oftringen are first mentioned in a document.
- King Rudolf II. Of Upper Burgundy and Italy gives Venice under the Doges Orso II. Particiaco contracted to beat its own money the right.
- around 924: Johannes Tzimiskes , Byzantine emperor († 976 )
- around 924: Wolfgang , Bishop of Regensburg († 994 )
- April 7th : Berengar I , Roman Emperor, King of Italy and Margrave of Friuli (* around 840 )
- April 11th : Hermann I , Archbishop of Cologne (* around 870 )
- April 26th : Glismut , mother of the East Franconian King Konrad I (* before 881)
- July 17th : Edward the Elder , King of Wessex (* around 871 )
- August 1 : Æthelweard , King of Wessex (* 904 )
- Ordoño II , King of León and Galicia