Calendar overview 954
|West Franconian King Ludwig IV dies.||Indulf becomes King of Scotland .|
|954 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||402/403 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1497/98 (southern Buddhism); 1496/97 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||60th (61st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||316/317 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||342/343 (turn of the year May 6/7)|
|Jewish calendar||4714/15 (September 1st and 2nd)|
ab urbe condita MDCCVII (1707)
Diocletian's era : 670/671 (turn of the year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1264/65 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1265/66 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1010/11 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Liudolfin uprising in Eastern France
- February 6 : Troops loyal to the king defeat the rebellious Arnulf of Bavaria in the Marchtal , who has been besieging Augsburg Bishop Ulrich in Schwabmünchen Castle since the end of last year .
- The Hungarians invade Eastern Franconia . Both sides accuse each other of bringing the enemy into the country.
- June 16 : The rebels Liudolf von Schwaben, Konrad der Rote and Archbishop Friedrich von Mainz meet King Otto I and Heinrich I of Bavaria in Langenzenn to conduct negotiations. Otto succeeds in isolating Luidolf, who breaks off negotiations. Otto pardons Konrad the Red, who loses the Duchy of Lorraine and is only allowed to keep his family estates in Speyergau , Wormsgau and Nahegau .
- July 22nd : Arnulf of Bavaria falls in battle with an army commanded by Margrave Gero outside Regensburg. Luidolf throws himself at his father Otto I's feet, who takes him back with grace. However, he loses his Duchy of Swabia , with which the loyal Burchard III. is enfeoffed from the Burchardinger family. In the same year he married Hadwig von Bayern .
- Before August 31: Alberich II , ruler of Rome and the papacy , had the Roman nobility swear by the Roman nobility shortly before his death to secure the secular and spiritual rule of his house, and his son and heir Octavian as pope at the next occupation of the papal chair to choose.
- October 10 : After the surprising death of Ludwig IV after a hunting accident, his thirteen-year-old son Lothar from the Carolingian dynasty, at the instigation of his mother Gerberga and her three siblings, the East Franconian King Otto I the Great , the Duchess Hadwig von Franzien and Archbishop Brun of Cologne , elected King of Western France and crowned on November 12th in Reims . His one-year-old brother Karl is passed over in the inheritance. The Duke of Franzien, Hadwig's husband Hugo the Great from the influential noble family of the Robertines , who dominated West Franconian politics, received far-reaching concessions for his approval: After his coronation, Lothar gave him the duchies of Aquitaine and Burgundy , making the ruling dukes vassals of Hugo be downgraded. Hugo can only enforce his feudal sovereignty in Burgundy with Duke Giselbert . Duke Wilhelm III. of Aquitaine opposes Hugo.
- After a defeat against Saif ad-Daula , the emir of Aleppo , Bardas Phokas the Elder resigns from the post of supreme general in the east of the Byzantine Empire and transfers it to his eldest son Nikephoros Phokas .
Other events in Europe
- Indulf is after the death of his cousin Malcolm I. King of Scotland . Malcolm's son Dubh becomes King of Strathclyde .
- After the defeat and death of the former Norwegian king Erik Blutaxt in the Battle of Stainmore , his kingdom of Jórvík in England is dissolved.
- September 13th : After Diethard's death , Othwin becomes Bishop of Hildesheim .
- December 17th : Wilhelm is elected Archbishop of Mainz to succeed Friedrich , who died on October 25th . Wilhelm receives confirmation from Pope Agapitus II as Apostolic Vicar , i.e. deputy of the Pope in Germany. His father Otto raised him to the position of arch chaplain .
Date of death secured
- July 22 : Arnulf II , Count Palatine of Bavaria (* around 913 )
- August 31 : Alberic II , ruler of Rome (* before 915)
- September 10 : Louis IV. , King of the West Frankish Empire (* 920 / 921 )
- September 13th : Diethard , Bishop of Hildesheim
- October 3 : Odilo of Stablo , Abbot of Stablo and Malmedy
- October 25 : Friedrich , Archbishop of Mainz (* before 937)
Exact date of death unknown
- Alda the Younger , Margravine of Spoleto (* around 925 )
- Aschot II. , Kuropalat from Kartli-Iberia (* after 897)
- Erik I , King of Norway and King of Jórvík (* around 885 )
- Malcolm I , King of Scotland