Calendar overview 902
With the city of Taormina, the Saracens conquer
one of the last Byzantine bases in Sicily .
|902 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||350/351 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1445/46 (southern Buddhism); 1444/45 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||264/265 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||289/290 (turn of the year 4th / 5th December)|
|Jewish calendar||4662/63 (September 5-6)|
from urbe condita MDCLV (1655)
Diocletian's era : 618/619 (turn of the year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1212/13 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1213/14 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||958/959 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- August 1st : Islam in Italy : The Aghlabid Emir Abū Ishāq Ibrāhīm II conquers Taormina with his army . The last great base of the Byzantine Empire on Sicily and its further influence on the island are lost. Abū Ishāq Ibrāhīm II himself was forced to abdicate in the same year because of his tyrannical rule, which led to uprisings in the population, by his son Abu l-Abbas Abdallah II and died on October 23rd in front of Cosenza of dysentery. Abu l-Abbas Abdallah II leads a campaign against the Kutāma Berbers under Abū ʿAbdallāh al-Shīʿī , but suffers a defeat.
- The Moors under General El Jaulani conquer Mallorca for the emirate of Córdoba . He then became the first Islamic governor in the city of Palma, now known as Medina Mayurka .
- In the course of the Babenberg feud, the Konradines besieged the Babenburg , today's Bamberg , which is mentioned for the first time, and beat the Franconian Babenbergers hard.
First documentary mentions
- Gamshurst has its first documentary mention.
- Wadgassen (Wadegozinga, Wadegozzinga) is first mentioned in a document from King Ludwig the child .