Calendar overview 863
|Bulgarian ruler Boris I is baptized.|
|863 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||311/312 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1406/07 (southern Buddhism); 1405/06 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||225/226 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||241/242 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||248/249 (February 23/24)|
|Jewish calendar||4623/24 (September 17/18)|
from urbe condita MDCXVI (1616)
Diocletian's era : 579/580 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1173/74 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1174/75 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||919/920 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Franconian Empire : After the death of Karl , his empire is divided between his two brothers Lothar II and Ludwig II .
- Viking Age : Danish Vikings plunder up the Rhine as far as Cologne in January . At Neuss they are raised and besieged by Franconian and Saxon troops. In April they withdraw again.
- Pope Nicholas I excommunicated Archbishop Gunthar of Cologne .
- The Goths under Margrave Hunfried succeed in driving the Franks out of Toulouse .
- Constantine I of the Alpin family succeeds his late uncle Donald I on the throne of Scotland .
First documentary mentions
- First mention of the Russian city of Smolensk
- Weiher is first mentioned in a document in the Lorsch Codex
- July 5th : The Slav apostles Cyril and Methodius arrive in the Great Moravian Empire . In the same year Kyrill developed the Glagolitic script .
- January 24th : Charles , King of Provence (* around 845 )
- June 4 : Charles of Aquitaine , Archbishop of Mainz (* 825 / 830 )
- October 4th : Turpion , Count of Angoulême
- Abu Ibrahim Ahmad , Emir of the Aghlabids
- Donald I , King of Scotland (* around 812 )
- Karbeas , Byzantine general, rebel and leader of the Paulicians