Calendar overview 868
|Diamond Sutra is produced.|
|868 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||316/317 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1411/12 (southern Buddhism); 1410/11 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||230/231 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||246/247 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||254/255 (December 19-20)|
|Jewish calendar||4628/29 (September 20/21)|
ab urbe condita MDCXXI (1621)
Diocletian's era : 584/585 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1178/79 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1179/80 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||924/925 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- During the Reconquista , Count Vímara Peres recaptured the city of Porto from the Moors (later lost again). He initiates the repetition of Porto, Coimbra, Viseu and Lamego . Another revolt against the Moors in Mérida .
- The Rus under Askold and Dir take control of the Slavic city of Kiev .
Culture and technology
- May 11 : The first printed version of from the 1st century originating Diamond Sutra is a wood block printing produced. This document is considered to be the first book printing product in human history that can be dated with certainty. Individual sheets of paper are printed using several blocks and then put together to form an approximately 530 cm long roll. The print is based on the first translation of Kumārajīva from Sanskrit into Chinese , which he made between 405 and 413.
- January 5th : Conuvoion , first abbot of Redon, saint (* around 800 )
- July 1 : ʿAlī al-Hādī an-Naqī , imam according to the belief of the Twelve Shiites (* 828 )
- Theutgaud , Archbishop of Trier