Calendar overview 757
|Paul I is the first pope to announce his election not to the emperor in Byzantium but to the king of the Frankish empire .|
|757 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||205/206 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1300/01 (southern Buddhism); 1299/1300 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||57th (58th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||119/120 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||135/136 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||139/140 (May 24/25)|
|Jewish calendar||4517/18 (September 18-19)|
from urbe condita MDX (1510)
Diocletian's era : 473/474 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1067/68 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1068/69 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||813/814 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Franconian Empire and Italy
- Desiderius prevails against Ratchis and becomes king of the Lombards in his place .
- Imperial Assembly in Compiègne : Duke Tassilo III. von Baiern pays the vassal oath to the Frankish King Pippin .
- After Aethelbald was murdered , Beornrad became the new king of Mercia for a short time , but Offa prevailed against him, becoming the most powerful king of the Anglo-Saxons in the 8th century .
- Cynewulf becomes King of Wessex . He succeeds Sigeberht, who ruled for only one year .
- In the course of the An Lushan uprising, the Tang emperor Suzong succeeded in turning things around with the help of the Uyghurs and not least as a result of the murder of the insurgent An Lushan by his son. Chang-an and Luoyang are retaken.
- Emperor Constantine V gave King Pippin an organ , which for the first time became known in the West.
- May 29th : Paul I succeeds his brother Stephan II , who died on April 26th, as Pope . Both come from an unknown urban Roman family. Due to the existing disputes between the Churches of the East and the West, Paul does not indicate his election as Pope to the Eastern Roman emperor, as was usual up to now , but to the Frankish king.
- around 757: Bishop Virgilius of Salzburg , at the request of the Carantan prince Cheitumar, sends the missionary bishop Modestus with several priests to missionary work in Carantania .
- Hisham I , Emir of Cordoba († 796 )
- Abu Nuwas , Arab poet († 815 )
- around 757: Yeshe Tsogyal , master of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism