Calendar overview 744
, a serious crisis began in the Umayyad Caliphate .
|744 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||192/193 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1287/88 (southern Buddhism); 1286/87 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||57th (58th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||106/107 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||122/123 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||126/127 (October 12/13)|
|Jewish calendar||4504/05 (September 11-12)|
ab urbe condita MXDVII (1497)
Diocletian's era : 460/461 (turn of the year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1054/55 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1055/56 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||800/801 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- April 17 : Serious crisis of Umayyad rule in the caliphate after the assassination of al-Walid II and the subsequent rapid change of ruler: The reputation of the Umayyads is badly damaged, which makes the Abbasid propaganda increasingly heard. First al-Walid's son, Yazid III , becomes caliph . who dies after just five months.
- September 25th : Caliph Yazid III, who ruled for only a few months, dies. His successor will be his designated brother Ibrahim , who is only recognized in parts of Syria . Against him is the Umayyad Marwan II , who sees himself as the avenger of the murdered Al-Walid II .
- Alemanni Duke Theudebald rebels in Alsace , Hausmeier Pippin drives him out and brings Alsace back under his power.
- After the death of the Longobard King Liutprand in February, his nephew Hildeprand was his successor, who was overthrown by Ratchis , the Duke of Friuli , in October of the same year . Aistulf , the future king , becomes Duke of Friuli .
First documentary mentions
- March 2nd : The Synod of Soissons regulates questions of church order in the Franconian Empire .
- March 3rd : Abel becomes Archbishop of Reims .
- March 12th : The Fulda monastery is founded on behalf of Bonifatius by his pupil Sturmius , a Benedictine monk.
- September 24th : The bones of St. Rupert of Salzburg are buried by the local Bishop John I in the Episcopal Church.
- Theophylact succeeds Stephen IV as Patriarch of Antioch .
Date of death secured
- April 17 : al-Walid II , caliph of the Umayyads (* 706 )
- September 25 : Yazid III. , Umayyad Caliph (* 701 )
Exact date of death unknown
Died around 744
- Wilfrid II , Bishop of York