Calendar overview 739
Godescalcus is from the royal party hostile
to the Duke of Benevento levied.
|739 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||187/188 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1282/83 (southern Buddhism); 1281/82 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||57th (58th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||101/102 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||117/118 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||121/122 (December 6/7)|
|Jewish calendar||4499/4500 (September 7/8)|
ab urbe condita MXDII (1492)
Diocletian's era : 455/456 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1049/50 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1050/51 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||795/796 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Franconian Empire and Italy
- With Longobard help, Karl Martell succeeds in driving the last of the Moorish associations out of Provence .
- Pope Gregory III Karl Martell asks for help against the Lombards, which Karl refuses, however, in view of the weapons aid they have given.
- Ratchis becomes the Lombard Duke of Friuli .
- After the death of Gregorius, Godescalcus is elevated to Duke of Benevento by the anti-royal party , without recognizing the royal right of appointment.
Other events in Europe
- After the death of Fafila , king of Asturias , Alfonso I succeeded him.
- Aed succeeds Eogan's king of Dalriada .
- The dioceses of Regensburg (Bf. Gaubald), Passau (Bf. Vivilo), Freising (Bf. Erembert) and Salzburg (Bf. Johannes I) are founded on behalf of the Bavarian Duke Odilo ; the Diocese of Neuburg (probably Neuburg an der Donau ) does not last.
- The Sankt Emmeram monastery above the grave of the saint in Regensburg is founded.
- After Willibrord's death , Wera becomes the second bishop of Utrecht .
- Arnfried becomes Bishop of Constance .
- Pope Gregory III sends Willibald on a mission to the eastern Franconian empire .
Date of death secured
- October 17 : Nothhelm , Bishop of Canterbury
- November 7th : Willibrord , Anglo-Saxon missionary (* around 658 )