Calendar overview 738
|Saelred becomes King of Essex .|
|738 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||186/187 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1281/82 (southern Buddhism); 1280/81 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||57th (58th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||100/101 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||116/117 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||120/121 (December 17/18)|
|Jewish calendar||4498/99 (September 19-20)|
from urbe condita MXDI (1491)
Diocletian's era : 454/455 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1048/49 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1049/50 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||794/795 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- The Franconian caretaker Karl Martell had numerous Saxons executed near Wesel and made some of the people pay tribute.
- Saelred becomes King of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Essex . It is possible that he was co-king of his predecessor Swæfberht before .
- After losing to the Arabs the previous year, Suluk is murdered by two relatives and rivals. With the death of Khaqan the final demise of the nation begins the Türgesch .
- April 29 : Butz 'Tiliw , ruler of the Mayan city-state Quiriguá , captures Waxaklajuun Ub'aah K'awiil (“18 rabbits”), the 13th ruler of Copán , and has him beheaded. With this he justifies the rise of the previous vassal state.
First documentary mentions
- In a document of Lorsch is Gumbsheim first mentioned.
- Bourgheim and La Balme are first mentioned in a document.
- Boniface is appointed papal legate for the entire Franconian Empire .
- around 738: (Re) establishment of the diocese of Augsburg under Bishop Wikterp , who is said to have co-founded the towns of Kempten , Wessobrunn and Ellwangen
Date of death secured
- January 26th : John of Dailam , Syrian monk and monastery founder in Mesopotamia and Persia, saint of the East Syrian Church
- February 20 : Eucherius , Bishop of Orléans (* around 694 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Maslama , Arab general (* 685 )
- Suluk , Khaqan (ruler) of the doorstep in Central Asia
- Swæfberht , (with?) King of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Essex
Died around 738
- Wigbert , missionary companion of Bonifatius and first abbot of the Benedictine monastery Fritzlar and abbot of the monastery Ohrdruf (* around 670 )